Millers climb to second

ROTHERHAM United climbed to second place in League Two with a 3-1 victory over Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday, thanks to a brace from in-form striker Lewis Grabban.

Andy Scott’s team outplayed their opponents who looked weary after a midweek 14-13 penalty shootout win again Leyton Orient in the Johnston’s Paint Trophy.

Two goals in 10 minutes from Grabban, the first with his head and then a rightfooted finish inside the penalty area, and a goal from Gareth Evans were enough to stop a lackluster Dagenham.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The match was the first time the two clubs have met since the Millers lost 3-2 in the League Two play-off final in 2010.

Danny Schofield was missing from the Rotherham lineup after being sent off in the team’s 3-2 defeat by Swindon Town last weekend. The defeat was the first of the season for manager Andy Scott.

Within the first minute of the match Alex Revell hit the post of Chris Lewington’s goal with a header from inside the six-yard box.

Evans put the Millers in front in the ninth minute of the game when he converted a cross from Grabban.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Grabban held up the ball on the right hand side of the Dagenham defence before beating his man and sending a cross to the middle of the penalty area, which wasn’t dealt with by the Dagenham defence.

Evans picked up the ball just beyond the penalty spot and finished through the legs of Lewington.

The lead only lasted a little more than 10 minutes with Dagenham growing more confident and putting more pressure on the Millers’ goal.

Daggers’ captain Scott Doe headed in a corner taken and won by Gavin Tomlin, with his header clipping the underside of the bar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Tomlin should have given Dagenham the lead when a high ball from the defence bounced over the head of Ryan Cresswell. The Dagenham striker took the ball into the box was only to be denied by a smart save from the right hand of Logan.

United took control of the game after half an hour with the first of a 10 minute double from Grabban. He slipped away from his marker at the near post to send a glancing header into the back of the net.

Grabban edged the Millers to a two goal advantage nine minutes later after Evans stole the ball from the Daggers’ defence near the corner flag and played the ball low into the feet of the striker.

He picked up the ball near the penalty spot, turned on his right foot and hit the ball into the net beyond the helpless Lewington.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherhan began the second half dominating the play in the same way they had finished the first half. Rightback Dale Tonge skimmed the top of the bar with a right footed shot in the first minute of the second half.

In a largely uneventful second half where both teams seemed to look content with the half time result Dagenham had the better of the chances but never looked like putting the ball in the back of the net.

Oliver Lee came closest to hitting back for the Daggers when his dipping 20 yard volley beat Logan in the Rotherham goal only to hit the bar.

Logan was forced to make a strong right handed save from a driven Tomlin shot, giving away a corner as both teams played out the result.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham are second on goal difference after Morecombe went top of the table beating fellow top team Crawley 6-0.

Rotherham United: C. Logan, D. Tonge, M. Raynes, R. Cresswell (C), T. Newey, G.Evans (B. Pringle 83), D. Harrison, J. Taylor, M. Marshall, A. Revell, L. Grabban (C. Holroyd 90).

Unused: A. Warrington, T.Brown, B. Williams,

Dagenham & Redbridge: C. Lewington, D. McCrory, S. Doe (C), S. Williams, G. Tomlin, D. Scannell, O. Lee, A. Ogogo, B. Bingham (J. Nurse 45), P. Walsh (M. Arber 45), P. Gain.

Unused: D. Hogan, R. Rose, B. Woodhall

Referee: G. Wards.

Assistants: M. Coy, S. Ross T. Peart (4th official).

Goals: G. Evans (9) Grabban (29, 38); Doe (21)

Yellows: M.Marshall.

Dagenham and Redbridge: D. McCrory (90).

Attendance: 3286 (118 Dagenham fans).