Dinnington defeat comes from poor middle period

Dinnington v Knottingley G130414-2fDinnington v Knottingley G130414-2f
Dinnington v Knottingley G130414-2f
Dinnington started and finished well, but all the damage was done in between leaving them having to settle for a losing bonus point.

For the first 25 minutes, Dinnington kept play in the home half.

They took the lead with a Jonny West penalty after five minutes but when they won another penalty minutes later they chose to take it quickly only to be held up short of the line.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Although it had come to nought, it was the right thing to do considering how they were dominating the game but they failed to convert two other chances and only had a 3-0 lead to show for their dominance.

Brods had shown few signs of any threat but with their first real chance they moved the ball quickly through hands before crashing over for a converted try, very much against the run of play.

Dinnington then went into panic mode, giving away penalties at the tackle and creating pressure that was not really there.

This allowed Brods to keep up their momentum and five minutes after their first score they got over in the corner to go 12-3 ahead with seven minutes of the half to play.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home side then raised their game with some good moves but Dinnington’s defence matched them meaning the score stayed the same to the break.

Playing up the slope in the second half, Dinnington expected to be on the back foot but the opening exchanges were end-to-end.

The only difference between the two sides in that time was that Brods took their chances; Dinnington did not.

Three minutes into the half Brods broke through the middle to score a converted try and, following a yellow card for Dinnington, extended their lead with a penalty seven minutes later.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A lack of concentration from the restart saw Dinnington waiting for a whistle, as the kick had not gone 10, while Brods were returning the kick.

The home side took full advantage and were 29-3 ahead with half an hour to play.

Dinnington then upped their game and came close to replying soon afterwards only to lose possession two metres short.

They had a similar fate with other chances but once they were back to full strength they began to dominate as they had in the first half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A break by Tyle Stimpson and Sam Palmer set up David Longstaffe for a try in the corner and then four minutes later a fine individual try by Stimpson was converted by West to put Dinnington 14 points behind with 10 minutes to go.

From then on Dinnington were camped in the home half winning a string of penalties.

With three minutes to 
go, Brods had a player sent to the bin, Dinnington thought this should have come sooner, and almost immediately a fine break by number eight Neil Dunn set up Longstaffe for his second try. West converted.

Dinnington then threw caution to the wind as they went looking for a fourth try to level the scores but it almost backfired and it was Brods who finished the game on the front foot as they broke out on a counter-attack.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dinnington are due to travel to Bridlington tomorrow for their final league 
game but they are waiting a decision from the league to see whether it has to be played or not. It has no effect on relegation or promotion and Bridlington are playing at Twickenham next week.