Heads held high


Leeds B 4

IT was with some trepidation that Gainsborough Boys approached their first ever visit to Leeds but they came away with their heads held high after an exhilarating performance.

The opening exchanges were quite even. Taylor Karkach and Jack Parsons were operating well in tandem in the centre of defence to thwart any attacks through the middle and Alex Rojas was working hard in mid-field, not allowing Leeds to settle on the ball.

Gainsborough always looked dangerous on the break and when Liam Benneyworth put Josh Booth away, he brought a good save from the Leeds keeper despite being forced wide by two defenders.

Leeds began to exert control as the half developed and went 1-0 up after a goalmouth scramble.

A second goal soon followed when Gainsborough failed to get distance on a clearance and a crisp first time shot from the edge of the area gave the keeper no chance.

Gainsborough were looking vulnerable but Jake Hutchinson latched on to a delightful through ball, outpaced the defence and found the net with an unstoppable shot.

This lifted the visitors and Tom Dunderdale was proving a handful for the Leeds defence, prompting several useful attacks.

An unfortunate penalty decision saw Leeds increase their advantage again and they finished the half strongly, Josh Law having to clear off the line and keeper Bailey Revill bringing off a brave save on the stroke of half-time.

It was Gainsborough who were first out of the blocks in the second half causing panic in the Leeds defence.

A great tackle by Eric Green and quick release of the ball set Tom Dunderdale away.

The Leeds keeper was unable to deal with Tom’s powerful cross and Josh Booth crowned a great performance with a tap-in.

There followed a spell of end-to-end play with honours even.

Leeds were trying to use their wide men to get behind the visitors’ defence but found Eric Green and Josh Law in superb form.

Eric was always first to the ball in 50-50 situations and Josh was quickly turning defence into attack by feeding the ever willing Tommy Wild who was always making himself available.

Leeds cored their fourth from a well-taken corner and Bailey Revill had to make a superb double save.

Gainsborough could have crumbled at this stage but they continued to battle for every ball and work for each other.

Aaron Coy calmed the situation down by holding the ball well until a pass was available.

If Gainsborough had been able to convert a penalty award it could have made for an interesting last five minutes.

As it was the boys walked off the field at the final whistle with lots of plaudits for their performance.


Wrawby Rovers U13s 2

Gains Trinity U13s 11

TRINITY produced a goal feast as they made it seven wins from seven.

They were ahead inside a couple of minutes when midfielder Keatan Gale scored from close range and Ewan McKay made it 2-0.

Wrawby got a goal back but Trinity regained their two-goal cushion with an own goal, and added two more before the break through Gale and Thomas Williams.

Wrawby grabbed a second after the break, but Trinity scored six more, two for Williams, two for the impressive Sam Trowsdale and another for McKay.

On sunday Trinity entertain Brigg Town on Roses (10am).