Town share the spoils in Rossington thriller

FOUR goals in the first half saw the points shared at Phoenix Park on Saturday, as Dinnington Town hosted Rossington Main and were held 2-2.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 12th December 2012, 5:12 pm

Main, sitting five places below Dinnington, were out to avenge a defeat earlier in the season, when Liam Cartledge scored a much talked about goal.

Dinnington began with five changes to the starting line-up, with the notable absence of the influential Michael Trench, but in his place and making a welcome return was Matt Smith.

Smith’s comeback ended a two-month spell on the sidelines, after breaking his collar bone when colliding with a goal post.

The game started at full speed and with two minutes on the clock Rossington broke through with a long ball down the middle which fell to Fallon, and with only the keeper to beat he launched the ball over the bar and out of the ground.

Town realised they had a game on their hands and stepped up a gear, with chances for McKenzie and Roper both going wide, but they continued to press with Fairweather scoring – only to see his effort ruled offside.

With the half hour mark approaching the game saw it’s first goal, Rossington’s defence slicing a clearance and the ball falling to Cartledge who put it beyond the keeper’s reach into the bottom corner for a deserved lead.

However that was short-lived as Town again fell victim to the long ball, who else but Fallon making amends for his earlier miss, this time opting to put the ball low and levelling the score line.

A manic period of the game saw a disputed penalty on 35 minutes for Rossington, Town defender Fairweather adjudged to have fouled Thornton who went down rather easily under the challenge.

Doyle stepped up for the visitors to put them 2-1 up.

An exciting half was not over however, Roper playing a stunning cross field ball to Wade out on the right who used his trademark pace to leave his man standing and put an unstoppable shot past the Rossington keeper to level the scores at the interval.

The second half started where the first left off with Town throwing everything at Rossington, McKenzie putting a good ball through for Stevenson only for him to be beaten to it by the keeper.

On 52 minutes Cartledge went close as Rossington’s back four appealed for offside against Stephenson, the referee realising he made no attempt for the ball and allowed play to carry on with Cartledge hitting the underside of the crossbar from 20 yards out.

The game settled into a pattern of long range shots, with both sides having efforts going wide.

With only minutes to play the two moments of the game warmed the crowd.

After another great ball from Roper to Cartledge the striker went for an overhead kick which skimmed the Rossington upright, much to the relief of the beaten keeper.

Into injury time Rossington went on the attack for the last time, and after a great run down the right Fallon fired in a thunderous shot which was saved superbly by Weston in Town’s goal, keeping honours even and ensuring a fair result.

Man of the Match was Jamie Roper for his workrate and some of the best passing seen at Phoenix Park for a long time.

DTFC: Weston, Fairweather, Statham, Taylor, Ramsden, Roper, Stephenson, Smith, Wade, Cartledge, McKenzie. Subs: Hoyland, Reid, Lepianaka.