SLIDESHOW: Tigers are held to a draw by Shirebrook

Worksop Town’s penultimate pre-season friendly ended in a hard fought 1-1 draw at Shirebrook Town on Saturday, Mitch Husbands’ second-half goal cancelling out Jamie Smith’s first half header.

The first chance of the game fell to the Tigers on ten minutes when Jake Scott put a free header wide of the post from Conor Sellars’ corner.

However, it was the home side that took the lead four minutes later after the Tigers defence failed to deal with a long punt downfield by the home ‘keeper; as the ball bounced Smith nipped in between the visitors’ defenders and ‘keeper to head home over Jon Kennedy.

As the half wore on the Tigers started to get on top and a good through ball by Tom Elliott released Sellars whose low shot was well saved by the home custodian.

Minutes later James Cottingham saw a shot deflected behind for a corner from which Sam Liversidge saw his header headed off the line.

The final chance of the half fell to Shirebrook, a shot from 22 yards out going inches over the bar.

Just past the hour mark Chris Adam made a triple substitution which had an immediate impact as two of the subs, Adam Ward and Husbands, were involved in the equaliser less than a minute after coming on; Ward releasing Jack Waddle down the left whose low, whipped in cross was met by Husbands who slid in to prod the ball home from close range.

As the Tigers pressed for a winner Elliott released Steve Woolley down the left, Woolley cutting inside and shooting but the home ‘keeper was equal to the task pushing the ball behind for a corner from which Scott headed wide.

With the game entering the final ten minutes Shirebrook forced a series of corners, however the nearest they came to scoring was when Scott sliced a clearance behind for another corner.

Eight minutes from time Conor Higginson should have won the game for the Tigers; Jack Barnett releasing Tom Elliott who cut the ball back to Higginson but, with the goal at his mercy, he blazed his shot over the bar from four yards out.

Photos by Peter Waby