Selby end Dinnington hoodoo by earning narrow victory

Dinnington fell to a 20-17 defeat at Selby on Saturday to end a run of three consecutive wins at the same venue.

Friday, 17th January 2020, 7:24 pm
Updated Wednesday, 22nd January 2020, 4:10 pm
Neal Dunn

Dinnington won a penalty from Selby’s kick off but a knock-on soon afterwards gave Selby a scrum and the home side shifted the ball out wide to take the lead with a converted try after only three minutes.

Dinnington were soon level as a kick to the corner gave them a good attacking platform. A drive for the line ended with the award of a scrum and Dean McAulay continued his scoring form by breaking from the back of the scrum to score. Jonny West converted to level the scores with ten minutes played.

A series of lineouts kept play in midfield before Selby put in a chip over the top of Dinnington’s defence which they collected only to knock on. Dinnington won the ball at the scrum that followed but Selby stole leading to them winning a penalty which they kicked to go 10-7 ahead at the mid-point of the half.

The lead was not held for long as within two minutes Dinnington were putting Steve Leitch over in the corner after a penalty had been kicked to touch close to the home line.

The opening play of the second half proved to be decisive. Selby won a penalty from the kick-off and kicked to touch just past half way. A quick throw to the front man at the lineout caught Dinnington off guard and they broke down the wing to score in the corner. This put Selby 17-12 ahead but, unfortunately for Dinnington, in an effort to prevent the score an injury to West meant he had to leave the field and the influential McAulay followed him soon afterwards, forcing the visitors into an unwanted reshuffle.

Just before the mid-point of the half Selby landed a penalty to move two scores clear and make Dinnington’s task even harder.

Another break, as the game went into the last ten minutes, was halted on the home twenty-two but Dinnington managed to regain possession winning a scrum. A penalty for a high tackle soon followed and another penalty saw Dinnington back in the corner threatening the home line.

A catch and drive was illegally halted, sending a Selby player to the bin, and the quickly taken penalty gave Dinnington the chance to put Neal Dunn in for a try and a losing bonus point.