REPORT: Handsworth Parramore 5-0 Worksop Town

editorial image

The end of season Sandy Lane derby ended in huge disappointment for Tigers as they went down 5-0 to Handsworth, for whom Jon Froggatt bagged a hat-trick.

Both teams made a steady start to the game with the first real chance falling to the visitors, Connor Higginson playing a through ball which Dre Johnson latched onto, but he should have done better as he dragged his shot wide of the far post.

Both teams were pressing forward, without the desired quality in the final third. However, after 25 minutes of action disaster nearly struck for Tigers as Keiran Wells almost got in behind due to a short Lawrence Gorman’s back pass.

Jon Kennedy just managed to get the ball away, but hurt himself in the process and for a minute it looked like the Worksop stopper would have to make way, but he soldiered on.

The first real half chance for the hosts fell for Wells as good work from Danny Buttle down the left saw him whip a cross in, but Wells could only head an awkward chance over the bar.

Shortly afterwards Handsworth took the lead, as again Buttle crossed but this time Froggatt headed home to open the scoring on 33 minutes.

Tigers had a couple of chances to equalise late in the first half, both falling to Johnson but both straight at Jake Lancini who made two comfortable stops.

It was a nightmare start to the second half for Tigers as Kennedy’s kicked clearance went straight to Froggatt who finished superbly into the corner of the empty goal from 30 yards.

Straight from kick-off the visitors almost pulled a goal back as again Johnson got himself a chance but pulled his left foot effort wide.

However, the next goal again went to Handsworth through a clinical counter attack. They nicked the ball, worked it well and Buttle finished it into the top corner.

Another goal soon followed as poor defending from Tigers allowed Wells to easily slot home a fourth for Handsworth, as a real danger started to loom that the result could become embarrassing.

Connor Smythe hit the crossbar with a long range effort against his old team, before Froggatt completed his hat-trick with ease as the goals kept coming. A cross to the back post found the Handsworth forward unmarked to net his third of the afternoon.

The hosts dominated the closing stages, but were denied by Kennedy and Henshaw who blocked well.

Overall though it was a day to forget for Tigers and a disappointing end to the season.

Tigers: Kennedy 5, Hodder 5 (Gee 62), FENTON 6, Cottingham 5, Henshaw 5, Gorman 5, Higginson 5, Husbands 6, Johnson 4 (Pickersgill 88) Jordan 5, Ward 4.

Subs not used. Woolley, Hawkins, Liversidge.

Handsworth: Lancini, Harrison, Smythe, Warne (Fletcher 65), Eades (Bates 73) Griffiths, Marrison (Rippon 49) Claisse, Froggatt, Wells, Buttle.

Subs not used: Wright, Bingley.

Yellows: Harrison 73, Fletcher 77; Gee 83.

Goals: Froggatt 33, 49, 64, Buttle 54, Wells 56.

Referee: Mr D Middleton