Patience is a virtue for Chris and Tigers

Worksop Town 1 Blyth Spartans 0 IF YOU don't succeed at first, try, try, try again, so goes the well-known proverb.

Worksop Town 1 Blyth Spartans 0

IF YOU don't succeed at first, try, try, try again, so goes the well-known proverb.

Loan striker Chris Beardsley did just that for the Tigers on Saturday – and he eventually got his reward.

After having a frustrating afternoon, the player on loan from Mansfield could have easily thrown in the towel.

Having two goals disallowed for borderline offside decisions, it would have been for him to give up.

But, thankfully for the Tigers, he didn't – and it proved to be third time lucky for the teenage new boy.

Beardsley's persistence allowed him to volley home the only goal of the game and net Tigers a deserved three points in a game where they could have wrapped up victory by a much larger margin.

His first goal for the club also came as a welcome relief to the majority of a 501 crowd who have seen Worksop fail to turn their domination into points several times before this season.

After an enforced lay-off following the double postponement of the FA Trophy fourth round tie at Margate, Worksop showed no ill effects as they quickly got into their stride against Spartans.

Bearsdley almost stole in after six minutes as his pace unsettled Michael Laws only for his finished to be smothered by Craig Turns.

Moments later Sykes thought he had put Worksop ahead as he drilled in a shot, arriving late onto a Beardsley centre from the right, but his effort was cleared off the line.

Matty Caudwell – who was to have an influential game – was the next to be presented with a goalscoring opportunity as he raced onto Gary Townsend's through ball but, just at the vital moment, he got the ball stuck under his feet and Gareth Williams was able to clear.

At the other end, in the 25th minute, former Aston Villa striker Graham Fenton volleyed just over following Gareth McAlindon's far post free-kick.

A minute later, as Blyth enjoyed their best spell of the half, Ryan Ludlam got in a crucial challenge as he nicked the ball away from Christian Graham.

But Worksop finished the half strongly as Caudwell had a venomous volley well blocked and Kevin Davies fired just over after cutting in from the left.

Then, Beardsley powered home at the far post after a slick break from Caudwell, only to have his celebrations cut short by the assistant referee's flag.

The same player was involved just before the break when he latched onto a short back pass from Laws but shot just the wrong side of the post.

Blyth looked to make Worksop pay for failing to take advantage of their superiority as the second half began and twice timely Tigers blocks were needed to deny Wayne Phillips in a scramble.

It was not long, though, before Worksop were back on the attack as Turns saved well from Gary Townsend's angled drive and Sykes headed just over.

On the hour, Worksop were again denied a goal by the officials – this time as Bearsdley had tapped home after Neil Glasser's volley had come hit the bar.

As Worksop upped the tempo, Turns again came to the rescue to thwart Caudwell but he could do little to prevent Worksop taking a 67th minute lead.

Caudwell again used his pace to get away from his marker but this time put over the perfect cross for Beardsley to volley into the roof of the net.

Blyth tried to hit back as Fenton's curling free-kick was saved by Dave McCarthy – who had seen little action all afternoon – at the second attempt.

In the closing stages, Simeon Bambrook was introduced into the fray and was only denied an instant goal by a smart Turns save.