When the King came to town
THIS week’s Archive Corner picture shows King George V and Queen Mary on their visit to Worksop in 1928.
They are seen being greeted enthusiastically by residents of Lowtown Street.
The royal couple came to the town on 9th July to open Memorial Avenue.
Both Memorial Avenue and Memorial Gardens were built in remembrance of the men of Worksop who died in the First World War.
Worksop war memorial is in the centre of the avenue.
It was unveiled by General Sir Horace Smith Dorrien in June 1925.
There is also a war memorial at St Anne’s Church and a memorial outside Worksop Town Hall to those who lost their lives in the South African War.
A British Pathe news reel was made of King George V’s visit to Worksop, which would have been seen by cinema audiences around the country.
The news reel is entitled “His Majesty opens the beautiful Memorial Way, Worksop”.
It shows crowds of people outside the Priory Church, some waving Union flags, as the King’s car sets off through the town.
Memorial Avenue is part of Worksop’s Heritage Trail, which also includes the Priory, the Gatehouse, Potter Street, Bridge Street, Market Place, Worksop Castle, Chesterfield Canal, Victoria Square and the railway station.