Worksop Ladies thrash Nottingham University and Newark to sit in Notts Premier title driving seat

Worksop Ladies Hockey Club have put themselves in the Notts Premier driver’s seat, thanks to two huge victories last weekend.

Routs of both Nottingham University and Newark made it four wins in two weekends, and left Worksop top of the table ahead of this Saturday’s game against second place Southwell.

Victory this weekend would put Worksop three points clear with two games to go and almost certainly favourites for the title.

After a delayed start against Nottingham University, Worksop began well.

Within the first five minutes Tracy Fuller scored her first and it was clear Worksop were the superior side.

In the remainder of the first half Worksop scored another four through Fuller, Esther Gray and Ailsa Gray, who got two.

In the second half Helen Williams made a surging run forward and scored a great goal, opening the flood gates.

Fuller took her total to four, an Player of the Match Ailsa Gray scored another three to bring her tally to five.

The final score stood at 11-0 to the home side.

In the second game of the weekend Worksop knew that if they won they could go top of the league on goal difference.

Worksop pressurised from the start, playing the ball well thoughout the team and it didn’t take long for Esther Gray to convert Worksop’s first penalty corner and put the away team in front.

Before half time Ailsa Gray scored a hat-trick, Katie Hetherington converted a penalty corner and Tracy Fuller scored her first.

The second half was more of the same, excellent defending from Man of the Match Joanne Rice and the back line meant that Newark saw little of the ball.

Esther Gray scored from another penalty corner and tapped another in for her hat-trick.

Kate Wilson netted a great reaction goal off a rebound and Fuller bagged her second.

Worksop now sit top of the league with an impressive +72 goal difference ahead of the vital Southwell clash.

The Worksop second team took on Boots III and were blown away in a difficult second half.

In a hard fought first half Worksop created the better chances with several short corners.

But Boots came out in the second half stronger, putting Worksop under pressure and finally breaking through despite some fine saves from goalkeeper Jackie Rhodes.

Boots then began to hit their stride adding two more goals and then a late fourth, finishing 4-0 ahead.

Worksop’s Player of the Match was awarded to captain Annabel Wilson.

The Worksop thirds played Boots away for the early kick-off, and both teams started well trying to dominate play, but neither team could get a shot on goal.

Before the half ended Boots scored from a short corner however.

The second half saw much of the same with Worksop unable to find the back of the net and Boots’ keeper deflecting a shot wide.

Worksop continued to clear their lines from numerous Boots short corners, but were unlucky to let another goal in with 10 minutes to go.

Boots scored a further two goals as a tired Worksop side were over run.

The match finished 4-0 to Boots with Player of the Match awarded to Jayne Slaughter.