Worksop Ladies Hockey Club secure battling draw

editorial image

Worksop first team travelled away to Ashby and came away with a 2-2 draw.

The team started well and were dominating possession and creating lots of chances.

The ball remained in the opposition half with Worksop pressurising and turning the ball over to create chances, however they were unable to convert.

Ashby eventually won the ball and one of their players countered on her own and scored a brilliant goal against the run of play.

Worksop continued to dominate after the restart and managed to score before half-time leaving it level at the break.

The second half saw much of the same as Worksop created many chances without converting them.

Ashby took advantage of this and, after a string of short corners, managed to score their second.

Worksop reacted again and managed to get one back, but could not gain the extra goal they needed to secure the lead.

The second team were beaten 4-0 by leaders West Bridgford.

Several team members were out through injury, which meant another new line-up, and defensive formation.

However Worksop began well and created several good chances early on.

The game was even until West Bridgford scored from a penalty corner.

Worksop responded well but just before half-time the league leaders produced a slick move down their right, cut into the D and scored a great goal.

At the start of the second half Worksop conceded a soft goal, which knocked some of the confidence gained in the gritty first half performance.

West Bridgford seized the opportunity and began to dominate scoring two more goals.

Worksop III faced Arnold away in a wet encounter.

The match started with both teams battling for the ball. Arnold aimed to fire the ball down to their striker who frustrated Worksop’s defence from the off.

Worksop maintained their composure and didn’t let Arnold’s lack of discipline bother them, however, Arnold managed to winn a short corner and fired home from the top of the D.

Worksop pressed Arnold’s defence and were unlucky not to equalise with a shot hitting the post, but, Arnold went into the break 1-0 up.

The second half saw Worksop change tactics and they continued to press, but unfortunately they couldn’t find the net.

Arnold then struck again late on to wrap up a 2-0 win.