Winnington – rugby men maintain 100 per cent record

Dinnington in action at Old Crossleyans
Dinnington in action at Old Crossleyans
Share this article

Dinnington maintained their remarkable winning start to the North One East season with a bonus point victory over Old Crossleyans.

The 27-14 away win moved Dinnington into second place in the division ahead of this weekend’s Lodge Lane clash with Northern.

The men in blue had an early opportunity to take the lead but were denied as they set up a catch and drive for the line with virtually the first action of the game.

Minutes later they fell behind as a break by the home scrum-half set up the winger for a converted try.

Almost immediately, Crossleyans stole the ball and broke again but Dinnington were able to recover and clear.

With 10 minutes played Dinnington won a penalty in centre field, 40 yards out, and Jonny West got them on the board with a successful kick.

Crossleyans failed to make 10 metres with their restart and Dinnington were able to put the pressure back on.

Fifteen minutes into the game, they were held up driving for the line but, from the resultant scrum, they drove again and Danny Pilkington scored to move them into an 8-7 lead.

Crossleyans replied straight away, helped by a Dinnington mistake, but the danger was dealt with.

The visitors then wasted a couple of good opportunities before going further ahead, 10 minutes before the break, when good work by West and Ryan Donnelly opened the way for Tyle Stimpson to score.

Dinnington went into the last five minutes of the half applying the pressure but Crossleyans turned the tables and Dinnington ended the half defending their own line.

A few minutes later they won a penalty and kicked for the corner but were twice held out by good defence.

Crossleyans then had a brief moment of pressure on the Dinnington line before the visitors were back on the attack.

A kick through was collected but the chance was lost as they tried to force the play.

However, two minutes later that was forgotten as Jalan Farris picked up at the back and crossed for a try on debut.

West converted and Dinnington felt more confident 20-7 ahead.

Midway through the half they were given a boost when a charged down clearance spread panic in the home defence and resulted in a player visiting the sin-bin as they tried to recover.

Dinnington knew this was their opportunity to get the bonus point try but Crossleyans were in no mood to give it up.

Three times Dinnington were denied as they tried to drive from a five metre scrum but when they chose to open the play up, James Beck was put over in the corner and West converted.

Maybe Dinnington eased off or Crossleyans lifted their game, but the last 10 minutes saw the home side pressing in the visitor’s half.

Three minutes from time the home side had a drive held up short of the line but they quickly re-cycled the ball and scored a converted try in the corner.

In the last minute, Farris nearly claimed his second try as he intercepted but the referee was not happy and brought play back.

Dinnington will be looking to keep their good start going when they take on Northern at home in their next game.