Under 13s put up a fight in home clash

Junior Rugby, Worksop U13's
Junior Rugby, Worksop U13's

Worksop Under 13s got their first taste of rugby on the first team’s putch on Sunday, but a depleted side didn’t get the win they wanted.

The side was hit by injuries and players unavailable through other commitments which didn’t help their cause.

In blustery conditions, captain James Hands won the toss and elected to play against the elements.

From the start, Worksop knew they were going to be in for a tough 50 minutes, against a bigger looking side who ran through the home defence inside the first minute for a converted try.

To make matters worse they ran in again under the posts to make it 14-0, and then 21-0 despite good tackling by Dave Burton.

At this point, the home team’s head started to drop and it was down to Hands to try and inspire his troops with some bursting runs.

Unfortunately, the opposition’s defence stood strong continuing to rip the ball and clear their lines.

There was another score before the break, making it 26-0.

Coaches J. Poxon and L. Robinson encouraged the team not to give up the fight, they now had the wind and could use it to their advantage.

From the re-start, Worksop kicked the ball deep into their opponents half and had a period of attack, but Ilkeston pounced on a mistake to race upfield and score another try.

Again the ball was kicked deep by Worksop and this time the whole team applied the pressure on Ilkeston’s defence and Ryan Dickson burst through to intercept a pass and scored a try under the posts, to the delight of his team mates and the supporters.

He also added the conversion to make it 31-7.

While still celebrating their score, Worksop switched off and immediately Ilkeston charged up the field to reinstate their big lead.

In a see-saw period, Worksop came again, this time Max Hardy managed to create a gap for himself and scored just to the right of the posts.

Again Dickson converted.

As time was running out and the Worksop’s players now starting to look a little jaded, Ilkeston gave a final push and scored to make it 43-14 in their favour.

Two players were given the honour of Men of the Match, firstly Ben Williams for his hard work up front and secondly Burton for his immense tackling.

The Worksop youngsters, who were playing in just their second ever competitive game, now prepare for a trip to Long Eaton.