Sheffield too strong for Dinnington second side

editorial image

Sheffield seconds proved too strong for their Dinnington counterparts, romping to a 50-17 victory at Lodge Lane.

The visitors had this game won before the home side rallied in the second half.

The danger signs were there early on when, six minutes into the game, from a scrum in their own half, Sheffield moved the ball wide putting their winger in the clear on half way and he showed a swift turn of foot to run in the opening try.

Ten minutes in, Sheffield kicked a penalty to the corner and then drove over from the line out to lead 12-0.

Dinnington were having to work very hard to stay in the game but from ascrum the Sheffield winger was put in again to move the visitors 17 points clear.

The hosts had to wait until the 25th mute before they posed any threat.

A good run from James Marsden, returning a kick, got them into the Sheffield 22 and more pressure eventually opened a gap and Ryan Donnelly scored. Oliver Williamson converted. Any thoughts that this was now going to be a close game soon disappeared as Dinnington put themselves under pressure trying to run out of defence.

A wayward pass was collected by Sheffield who then had an easy run to the line.

In the last10minutes of the half the visitors claimed two more tries to go into the break 38-7 ahead.

The wind was blowing up the slope and Dinnington used it well in the second half to get behind the Sheffield defence.

Four minutes in, an excellent kick to the corner set up a catch and drive for John Dudley to touch down.

Just before the mid-point of the half an error on attack allowed Sheffield to break out and Dinnington did well to stop the attack at half way.

However, they lost the ball at the line out and Sheffield broke through to score.

Sheffield were lifted by this and by recycling the ball quickly had Dinnington on the back foot.

The hosts then started to be too ambitious and ignored the benefit of the wind to help them relieve pressure.

Instead they tried to run from deep but another error gave Sheffield another try.

The last quarter of an hour saw Dinnington come back into the game, and with the last play, a quickly taken penalty set up Steve Leitch for a try.