Losing bonus point for Dinnington after long haul to Alnwick


Dinnington made the long journey to second in the table Alnwick and came back with a losing bonus point after a 22-15 defeat.

However, the consensus of opinion was that they should have come back with more.

The first half was a close affair with both sides having chances that were either wasted or foiled by some good defence.

Dinnington had the first chances but failed to control the ball when within touching distance of the line and then they did not have enough players to support a promising break.

There was a lot of open play and Dinnington had to be on their guard on a few occasions as both sides battled away to break though each other’s defensive line.

The breakthrough came with 15 minutes of the half to play as Dinnington set up a catch and drive which was sacked by the home defence.

An easy kick at goal was declined in favour of another catch and drive and this time Garry Woodcock was on hand to touch down.

Dinnington had no time to consolidate their lead as almost straight from the kick off Alnwick drew level as their scrum-half jinked his way to the line from a lineout.

With the last play of the half Dinnington collected a kick over the top but support was slow to arrive and Alnwick cleared the danger.

Alnwick made the better start to the second half and Dinnington were soon on the defensive.

An excellent clearance kick by Matt Shaw to the home 22 relieved the pressure, but it was only momentarily as Alnwick came straight back and Shaw had to be on hand to halt the attack.

Pressure resulted in a penalty for the home side and a kick from close to half way put them 8-5 ahead.

This was built on almost immediately as the home scrum-half repeated his feat of the first half to move Alnwick 15-5 ahead.

Dinnington then enjoyed a long spell on the attack but struggled to control their possession at the crucial moments before they eventually set up a catch and drive with 15 minutes to go.

The initial push was sacked, Alnwick having a player binned, and the second held up.

From the scrum Dinnington drove Alnwick over their own line and Michael Leitch touched down and Jonny West converted.

Dinnington had the initiative at this point but they allowed Alnwick to break through tackles and virtually straight from the restart Alnwick scored again to go 22-12 ahead.

An excellent tackle, soon afterwards, by Ryan Donnelly prevented Alnwick heaping more misery on Dinnington before the visitors put in a late surge.

The last 10 minutes of the game saw Dinnington pick up the pace and pressure the home defence with some quickly taken penalties.

However, the home defence proved a match and when Dinnington were awarded a penalty with two minutes to go they opted to take the points, West converted, and a losing bonus point.