Ladies stick the Boots in to move up to third

Ladies Hockey match between Worksop Ladies & Boots Ladies.
Ladies Hockey match between Worksop Ladies & Boots Ladies.

Worksop Ladies Hockey Club moved up into third place in the Notts Womens Premier on Saturday, thanks to a 2-0 victory over Boots.

After a two week layoff dur to the frost, the Worksop ladies were up for a good game.

Boots were a side they drew with when playing away before Christmas, and it was an even start to this game at Worksop College.

But Worksop soon realised that they needed to win this game if they wanted to keep promotion dreams alive.

After 20 minutes Tracy Fuller converted the first real chance of the game and made it 1-0 to Worksop.

Soon after Ailsa Gray scored Worksop’s second goal for a 2-0 half-time lead.

In the second half Worksop remained the better side and Boots became frustrated.

Some excellent defending from Player of the Match Rebecca Hetherington and the other defenders limited the chances for the away side.

Worksop continued to create chances throughout the second half but failed to convert and the final score was 2-0.

The ladies now sit third with two games in hand ahead of Saturday’s trip to second placed Manning.

They’re also through to the semi-finals of the League Cup, thanks to a no show from University of Nottingham second team.

While it was a good day for the firsts on Saturday, the second team were convincingly beaten by University of Nottingham II, going down 9-1.

The thirds were also on the losing side, but their game was a much tighter affair, just missing out on a share of the spoils in a 2-1 defeat by South Notts.

Worksop took longer than normal to dictate play, and equal possession for both teams didn’t produce any goals before half-time.

The second half started with Worksop pushing play up into Notts’ third.

The under-pressure away side gifted Worksop with a goal, scored by Rebecca Prudence who struck the ball hard into the corner.

Notts came back with an equaliser, raising their confidence, but Worksop worked hard to get the ball up to their attackers although they couldn’t get passed Notts defence,

Notts found the winner with a high ball deflected into the top of the goal.

Player of the Match was awarded to Shannon Johnson.

In the League Shield, Worksop III faced Newark in the quarter-finals - the third time they took on Newark.

Worksop started well, keeping their shape and strength especially in defence.

Newark came at Worksop hard with the majority of play in Worksop’s third, but tight marking and concentration kept the home team at bay for most of the half,

However Newark eventually found the net before the half-time whistle.

The second half was more of the same with every Worksop player giving 100 per cent, playing with passion and determination,,

But Newark found the net once more giving them the win and a place in the semi-finals.

Player of the Match was awarded to Mel Hancock.

The club’s fourth team gave another spirited performance, landing three points as they beat Redhill III 2-1.

Goals came from Helen Speight and Caitlin Oliver.

Player of the Match was awarded to Shannon Johnson.