First home win of the season for Dinnington

Action from Dinnington v Malton and Norton in the Northern Division - North 1 East.
Action from Dinnington v Malton and Norton in the Northern Division - North 1 East.

Dinnington recorded their first home win of the season as they ran six tries past Driffield in a morale-boosting 39-24 victory.

It can be no coincidence that they managed to keep everybody on the field for the full 80 minutes.

Driffield converted a penalty from in front the posts early on but Dinnington came straight back as Jonny West landed a penalty of his own. He then kicked a drop goal.

Dinnington’s attack threatened with every possession but Driffield’s defence was up to the task and held out until fifteen minutes before half time.

From a scrum, after Dinnington had been held up, West squeezed over in the corner and added the conversion for a 13-3 lead. Three minutes later West was scoring again after Tom Doughty broke from a lineout and offloaded a yard from the line. West converted again and Dinnington were comfortably 20-3 ahead.

However, this comfort was only momentary as Driffield worked the ball through several phases to gain ground before spreading it wide and claiming a converted try.

Dinnington responded strongly in the last few minutes of the half and the pressure resulted in a Driffield player being binned. Dinnington could not make the extra player count before the break and went into half time 20-10 ahead.

They did make it count at the start of the second half as a penalty allowed them to get into the Driffield 22 from where they worked the ball back and forth across the pitch before opening up a chance for Michael Leitch to score under the posts. West converted.

Dinnington went to sleep at the next play and were caught out by a quickly taken penalty that allowed Driffield to score a converted try. Dinnington could have prevented this but it would probably have resulted with a visit to the bin so thinking sensibly they allowed the Driffield player to run until players who were onside could challenge.

Just before the mid-point of the half a catch and drive seemed to be going nowhere until it was shipped along the backs for Matt Shaw to evade several defenders to run in behind the posts giving West a simple kick.

Five minutes later Dinnington were on Driffield’s line again with a five metre scrum and Leitch claimed his second try to move Dinnington 39-17 ahead.

A try for Driffield with ten minutes to go, from a kick and chase, inspired them to go for a try scoring bonus point but they couldn’t maintain their momentum and Dinnington finished the stronger.