Dinnington survive late fightback for crucial win

Dinnington try scorer Dean Macaulay. Picture: Liz Mockler
Dinnington try scorer Dean Macaulay. Picture: Liz Mockler

Dinnington took another step away from the relegation zone with a bonus point victory over one of their closest rivals.

But they nearly let the Northern Division Yorkshire One win slip away in the final ten minutes before triumphing 30-25.

Both sides made several changes from their meeting the previous week in the Yorkshire Shield.

Dinnington played with the elements in the first half, and they had the upper hand in the scrum.

Dinnington opened the scoring after ten minutes when Jonny West went down the blind side at a scrum and put Matt Shaw over in the corner. West added the conversion.

Ten minutes later, West extended the lead with a penalty after a break by Ryan Corker and Dean McAulay forced an infringement from Hullensians at the tackle.

With ten minutes of the first half remaining, Hullensians got into the Dinnington 22, winning a penalty as Dinnington were penalised at a scrum, and converting.

It was one of several penalties Dinnington conceded in a short spell at the end of the half and it led to a sinbin warning from the referee.

West claimed his second penalty, in the last five minutes of the half, before Hullensians replied with the same a minute before the break. In the last play of the half, Corker touched down to send the home side into the break on top, but only 18-6 ahead.

The first 20 minutes of the second half saw chances come and go for both sides.

When a Dinnington catch and drive was ruled to have been held up over the line, from the following scrum Dean McAulay picked up and barged his way over. West converted.

Hullensians replied with a score in the corner, but any anxiety in the Dinnington ranks was eased almost immediately as Rob Leivars scored a try.

However, a loose pass allowed Hullensians to score a converted try and two minutes from time they again went over with a contentious score, after appearing to step out of play, but Dinnington hung on.