Dinnington rugby men slip to third


Heath 26

Dinnington 18

DINNINGTON slipped to third from bottom in the table as this defeat allowed Heath to overtake them.

The visitors went into the game looking for a win that would open up a gap on the bottom three, but they made a disastrous start by conceding a converted try in the opening minute as Heath broke down the blind side of a scrum.

This seemed to be a momentary blip as Dinnington picked up their game and started to threaten with the backs.

Three good chances were not taken and the visitors were made to pay as Heath scored a second try, in the corner, just past the mid-point of the half.

Dinnington’s response was the same as before and, again, they wasted a good scoring opportunity, knocking on after some good phases of play.

Close to half-time, Dinnington won a series of pens and eventually chose to take the points from a Jonny West kick.

The second half started with Dinnington on the attack

A good break by Tyle Stimpson, fending off tacklers, was halted at the five-metre line but it was the start of a good spell of pressure from the visitors.

Ten minutes into the half West saw a drop goal attempt drift just wide but Dinnington had won a penalty anyway.

They chose to kick for the corner, looking for a try, but lost the line out.

They did the same two minutes later but on the third opportunity West kicked the points.

Heath staged a recovery and replied within two minutes when a chip over the top, and a suspicion of offside, brought them a converted try.

Dinnington showed they were still in the game as Ryan Donnelly scooped up a loose ball close to halfway and ran to the line for an unconverted try with 20 minutes to go.

They looked like scoring again two minutes later but the referee spotted an infringement to halt the attack.

Once again, Dinnington’s momentum was stalled by a home try

This time the ball came out of a scrum and Heath responded the quickest to claim a bonus point converted try.

From then on it was mostly Dinnington pressing for a score.

They continued to kick for the corner when winning penalties but could not convert this into tries.

Ten minutes from time West broke through but slipped and Heath were able to turn the ball over on their own line.

However, from a solid scrum, the ball was passed along the line and Stimpson crossed for a try converted by West.

In the final minutes Dinnington looked for a score to get a losing bonus point but came up short.

Tomorrow, Dinnington are at home to Ilkley.