Dinnington RUFC thirds secure convincing win over Creswell Crusaders

Rugby union
Rugby union

Dinnington RUFC III kept a clean sheet for the second home game in a row as a strong first half display helped secure a 33-0 over Creswell Crusaders.

Dinnington had the advantage of the elements in the first half and got off to the best possible start when, after only two minutes, Nathan Parry burst through the centre on half way and ran in under the posts giving David Bell a straightforward conversion.

Dinnington kept the pressure on their visitors and, six minutes later, scored again when Jack Sigsworth came into the line at an angle and was able to cut through the defence for a try. Bell converted.

The home scrum was making life difficult for Creswell, giving them very little secure possession and only scraps to work with.

Fifteen minutes into the half Bell opted to go for goal with a penalty, but was off target with his effort.

However, he was on target five minutes later when converting a try by Josh Brown, who had broken from the base of a ruck to dart over.

Soon afterwards Dinnington put the result in no doubt when Parry claimed his second try, in the corner, following a line out to move the home side 26-0 clear.

Despite their dominance up front, Dinnington struggled to create any clear cut chances and had to wait until the last 10 minutes of the half before scoring again as Oliver Williamson broke through to score and Bell converted.

The home side were unlucky not to claim another score late on when the referee brought play back instead of letting Dinnington break away under advantage.

Dinnington twice came close to adding to their lead in the opening minutes of the second half, but then went off the boil allowing Creswell into the game.

The visitors used the wind well to keep Dinnington back and this forced the home side to try to run their possession from deep in their own half.

Mid-way through the half, Creswell had a chance to get on the scoreboard, but were off target with a penalty kick.

Dinnington responded by taking play close to the Creswell line but the visitors were able to steal and clear.

There were few other chances in the game although Creswell thought they were in for a try, with 10 minutes to go, when they intercepted only to be penalised for being offside.