Dinnington RUFC beaten late on by Doncaster

Match action from Dinnington's defeat at Doncaster. Pics by F.S.P. Images
Match action from Dinnington's defeat at Doncaster. Pics by F.S.P. Images

Despite sneaking into a narrow lead half way through the second half, Dinnington lost their unbeaten start to the season as they conceded two late tries to hand a 42-25 victory to Doncaster Phoenix.

Dinnington went into the game shy of several regulars, but they put in a sterling display which earned them an ovation from the home supporters at the end of the game.

Doncaster had the momentum from the kick-off but Dinnington turned the ball over and, after the forwards had driven a maul forward, the ball was released to the backs where the home side were caught offside.

Jonny West converted and Dinnington led 3-0 with four minutes on the clock.

Both sides gained ground into the opposition’s half in the next few minutes before a move in the backs brought Doncaster a converted try on ten minutes.

From the restart Dinnington won a penalty and West converted.

Doncaster missed chances to extend their lead when first a penalty attempt hit the posts and then a knock on thwarted an almost certain score.

However, midway through the half the home side turned the ball over at a ruck and broke down the blind side to claim a second converted try and a 14-6 lead. Dinnington came back strongly, but twice knocked on as they tried to catch the home side off guard with quickly taken penalties and then found themselves having to defend a line out five metres from their own line.

They managed to hold Doncaster in three phases, but could not stop the home side claiming another seven points with ten minutes of the half to play.

The half ended with Dinnington on the up and such was the pressure they put on the home defence that it resulted in Doncaster having a player binned.

In the last minute of the half, West landed his third penalty to leave Dinnington trailing 21-9 at the break.

Dinnington gave away a penalty in the opening minute of the second half after returning the kick off to half way, but were let off when the kick was off target.

They then intercepted Doncaster on their next attack and took play to the Doncaster 22 where they won a line out.

A long throw caught the home side out and Tom Doughty made ground before passing to Awly Trueman for a try. West converted.

There was little to choose between the two sides for the next ten minutes with both having half chances to break through and it took a try saving tackle by Rob Leivars to prevent Doncaster stretching their lead.

Dinnington countered from this and won a penalty which West converted. One minute later, further pressure brought another successful penalty and with 20 minutes to go Dinnington led 22-21.

The turning point of the game came five minutes later when West attempted a drop goal.

The ball hit an upright and Doncaster counter-attacked taking the ball the full length of the field to score.

Dinnington won a penalty at the restart and West kicked them to within three points, but it was Doncaster who raised their game in the last ten minutes.

Some good defending kept the home side out, but, from a five metre scrum, they finally broke through to go ten points clear with eight minutes to go.

Four minutes from time Dinnington put in one last attack but got turned over at a breakdown and Doncaster broke away again to score under the posts.