Dinnington in anxious wait over league title

Dinnington Rugby Club v Old Brodleians
Dinnington Rugby Club v Old Brodleians

Yorkshire One

Dinnington 46

Old Brodleians 16

Dinnington ended their season with a seven-try rout of Brods, but won’t know if it was enough to give them the league title until this weekend.

The Lodge Lane men beat Brods for the first time in seven meetings, breaking the 100 point mark in the league and opening up a four-point lead over Ilkley who could only draw at Doncaster Phoenix.

Dinnington now have to wait until Ilkley take on York on Saturday, to find out if they are champions, or if they have to take on Guisborough in a promotion play-off.

The man in blue and yellow went into this game knowing they had a guaranteed top two finish but looking to gain maximum points in case Ilkley slipped up.

The early exchanges were fairly even but it was Dinnington who opened the scoring when they moved the ball quickly through hands to put Chris Williams in for a try with 13 minutes played.

Brods came straight back and Dinnington had to be on their mettle to keep their line intact and clear.

Just past the mid-point of the half Dinnington came close to scoring again but Will Marshall was stopped just short of the line and then Chris Reynolds was held up.

From the resultant scrum Ryan Donnelly picked up at the back and found a gap in the visitors’ defence to go in for a try untouched. Jonny West added the conversion.

Brods responded almost immediately and two successful penalty kicks reduced Dinnington’s lead to 12-6 with 10 minutes of the half to go.

Brods have proved to be a bit of a bogey side for Dinnington in the past but the home side finished the half strongly scoring two more tries to earn their bonus point.

Firstly, good work by scrum-half Reynolds and the back row set up Marshall and then some good inter-changing passes in the backs opened the way for Tyle Stimpson.

West converted the second try, adding to a penalty he kicked in between the tries, to put Dinnington 27-6 ahead.

Brods looked to fight back at the start of the second half and landed an excellent penalty from close to half way with only two minutes gone.

However, Dinnington dented the visitors’ ambitions as they moved a maul close to the line and then released the ball to set up Tom Doughty for a score in the corner.

Brods refused to give up and were slightly hard done by when the referee deemed they had been held up over the line.

There was little time for sympathy as Dinnington stretched further ahead when John Stimpson went over from close in and West converted to extend the lead to 30 points.

Again, Brods came back and should have scored at least once but knocked on close in and then were held up again.

As before, Dinnington made the visitors pay for not scoring as they produced a lovely flowing move to set up Tyle Stimpson for his second try.

This time Chris Williams added the conversion.

With 10 minutes to go, Brods finally got some reward for their efforts as they claimed a converted try and, in a strong finish, they were unlucky not to claim more points.

However, Dinnington did just enough to keep them out to end the game on the up.