Dinnington held out by stubborn Driffield

2nd picture is John Dudley just before he scored our second try.
2nd picture is John Dudley just before he scored our second try.

Saturday’s 23-21 defeat by Driffield was deja-vu for Dinnington, who battered the opposition line but could not convert pressure into points.

A consolation for Dinnington was a losing bonus point at Lodge Lane, in North One East action.

The opening 10 minutes of the game were played mainly in the Dinnington half where the home side three times stole the ball at line outs to clear their lines.

Then, 13 minutes into the game, on their first real attack Dinnington took the lead.

A chip over the top was put into touch by Driffield leading to Dinnington setting up a catch and drive from the line out.

Driffield collapsed the maul but Dinnington played the advantage and having worked the ball to the line, Jalan Farris went over for a try converted by Jonny West.

The visitors came back strongly and two minutes later Dinnington had a player sin-binned for too many team offences in defence.

Driffield kicked the resultant penalty but Dinnington responded with a brief attacking spell, brought to a halt by crossing, before Driffield made the most of their man advantage to claim a converted try and the lead.

Back at full strength, Dinnington began to press the visitors’ line and came close to scoring three times.

First they were stopped two metres short and then knocked-on at the line.

Then they got over the line but lost control of the ball before being forced into touch.

In between all this Driffield had a player binned for a late tackle but Dinnington still went into the break 10-7 behind.

In was not a good start to the second half for Dinnington as they knocked on from the kick and then lost their own line out allowing Driffield to move the ball wide and score.

The defining moment came a minute later when Tyle Simpson broke clear and with a try almost certain was taken out by a high tackle, from behind.

A penalty try? No, a scrum to Driffield for knock-on.

Dinnington kept the pressure on but when they tried to move the ball wide they were forced into touch.

A minute later, Driffield were kept out by some solid defending forcing them to take a drop goal and move 18-7 ahead.

Dinnington came back with some close order work by the forwards and, after working the ball close to the line, John Dudley went over near the posts. West converted. Unfortunately, Dinnington were unable to build from this as an error from the restart enabled Driffield to set up an attack which ended with them going over in the corner.

Now requiring two scores, Dinnington set about pressing the visitors’ line winning a string of penalties, which on other occasions might have brought the visitors at least one yellow card, and were held up twice over the line.

Ten minutes from time a tip tackle by a Driffield player saw them sin-binned and Dinnington were given a chance.

However, it took them until a minute before time before they could make the advantage count and Ryan Donnelly’s try, from a driving maul, converted by West earned them a losing bonus point.

Dinnington now have a week off and return to action in two weeks’ time with a trip to Pocklington.