Derby hit back to hold Worksop Ladies


Worksop Ladies Hockey Club saw opponents Derby claw back from a 3-1 interval deficit to draw 3-3 last weekend.

In what was always going to be a tough fixture, Worksop started well, gaining possession and scoring an early goal through a great shot from Jade White.

The home side were determined to keep fighting and they had some excellent chances that they could not convert.

But eventually their efforts were rewarded and they levelled the game.

Worksop pressed higher and worked hard to dispossess the opposition by constant hassling.

The visitors were able to use this to build attacks and eventually a well-worked ball found it way to man of the match White, who excellently placed a reverse stick strike into the bottom corner, to restore Worksop’s lead.

Both sides continued to fight for the ball and there were many chances for both sides.

Eventually Worksop won a short corner and Esther Gray was able to slot it into the bottom corner, giving Worksop a 3-1 lead at half-time.

In the second half, Derby came out strongly, hoping to get some reward for their numerous efforts.

They created many chances and eventually converted one of them, bringing them within one goal of Worksop.

Both sides managed to create more chances, however, Derby were the side who were able to make the most of this, scoring and bringing them level at 3-3.

In the final 10 minutes, both teams played some great hockey and both teams had to defend hard, but neither could find a winner.

Worksop’s second team went down 3-1 at Newark.

Both sides started well and it seemed pretty evenly matched with both sides creating chances. Worksop’s midfield lined up well and, defensively, the team worked hard to contain Nerwark’s forwards, looking to counter quickly.

However, Newark were able to win a couple of short corners, and scored them both, putting them in control.

Worksop continued to work tirelessly and managed to get a goal back before half-time, leaving the half time score 2-1.

In the second half, Worksop pushed hard for an equaliser.

But, having committed players up front in the last few minutes, Newark took advantage with a last minute counter attack to seal the victory.