Worskop Town get back to winning ways

Action from Worksop Town v Sheffield FC in the Sheffield Senior Cup Round 2 at Sandy Lane. Andy Ofosu celebrates after scoring for Worksop.
Action from Worksop Town v Sheffield FC in the Sheffield Senior Cup Round 2 at Sandy Lane. Andy Ofosu celebrates after scoring for Worksop.

Tigers grabbed a morale-boosting win thanks to a battling performance as a late own goal sealed a 2-1 win against Thackley.

A great early start for Tigers saw Jack Waddle release Dre Johnson, the pacy striker narrowly dragging his shot wide of the far post.

The hosts then created a couple of chances, both we were tame efforts easily dealt with by Jon Kennedy, but they showed early intentions of trying to grab a goal.

After a first half battle where both teams struggled to find a killer ball, a sudden moment of real quality lit up the first half by Andrew Wood. He acrobatically met a cross in from the left, superbly finishing with an overhead kick past Kennedy.

After an end to end opening five minutes, that moment of magic from Wood was the standout moment of the half as Thackley went in 1-0 at the break.

Tom Dugdale fizzed in a long range effort early in the second half as the home team looked for a second goal.

A mistake from Kieran Fenton allowed Wood in behind, but Kennedy did well to block the forwards effort.

Tigers then had a great chance to equalise, confusion at the back left the keeper stranded, but Dre Johnson’s curling effort was brilliantly cleared over own bar off the line by Christian Hargreaves.

From the resulting corner Dre Johnson, proving a handle on his return to the club, again found half a yard of space but his shot went narrowly over.

Yet again the match was lit up by a superb goal. Substitute Andy Ofosu broke away down the left and unleashed an unstoppable shot that pinged off the far post and into the net. It was a fine strike.

The game suddenly burst into life after the equalizer. Tigers were pressing for a winner, but the next chance fell to Thackley forward Wood again, only to be denied once more by Kennedy.

Suddenly the game had a pulsating end to end flow, Ofosu stretching the Thackley backing with his pace and both teams pushing for a winner and showing signs of possibly grabbing the decisive goal.

Tigers then found a vital goal. Ofosu had been a constant nuisance since coming on as a sub, and again he was at the heart of the move. He burst down the right hand side, and his squared ball was turned into his own net by Craig Bentham.

Kennedy saved well down at his near post as Thackley pressed for an equalizer, but Tigers held out for a big three points to get back to winning ways.

Tigers: Kennedy 7, Hodder 8, Connor Johnson 5, (Woolley 55) Henshaw 6, Gorman 6, Fenton 6, Ward 6 (Higginson 72) Harrison 7, Dre Johnson 7, Husbands (OFOSU 40 8) Waddle 7.

Subs not used: Lawrence, Nightingale.

Thackley: Coleing, Bentham, Littlefair, Pett, White, Hargreaves, Farrell, Whiteley, Wood, Beckles, Dugdale.

Subs not used: Morrall, Basi, Robinson, Garrod.

Referee: Mark Brown.

Assistants: Gavin Hock and Neil Munday.

Yellow: Connor Johnson 53, White 88.

Goals: Wood 41, Ofosu 66, Bentham OG 83.

Attendance: 101.