Worksop Town share points with third placed Marine

A LEON Mettam goal gave Worksop Town a share of the points with third placed Marine after Matty Brown had opened the scoring for the visitors in an entertaining 1-1 draw.

Monday, 11th February 2013, 9:11 am
Worksop Town v Marine pictured is Leon Mettam (w130209-3b)

Simon Clark made two changes from the side that defeated Frickley as both Luke Shiels and Craig King returned to the starting line-up following long term injuries, replacing Stuart Ludlam and Lee Potts who were both unavailable for selection.

The Tigers suffered a major blow inside the first minute as Shiels landed awkwardly and had to be helped from the pitch with what looked like a serious knee injury.

Martin Ball dropped back to centre half with substitute Matt Young slotting into midfield.

Marine were the first to threaten as Karl Noon’s free kick to the far post was headed back across goal by Will Noon. However, Kern Miller made an excellent tackle on Danny Grannon to deny him an excellent chance from six yards out.

At the other end Mettam had a shot blocked for a corner and Tom Denton put a header straight at Ryan McMahon in the visitors’ goal.

McMahon was soon back in action as Denton headed back to Young on the edge of the penalty area only for his shot to be well saved low down by the visitors’ ‘keeper.

Matty Devine did well to make space for himself on the edge of the penalty area, but his shot was comfortably saved by Paul Bastock.

Minutes later Noon set up Shaun Dowling who cut inside however Bastock parried his shot away for a corner.

As Worksop finished the half strongly Ash Burbeary made a good run into the box with his shot deflecting off Grannon for a corner.

The final chance of the half fell to the Tigers as Denton put Phil Roe’s cross from the left just wide of the post.

The first chance of the second half fell to the Tigers as McMahon gathered Mettam’s shot from 25 yards out at the second attempt after it bounced just in front of him.

A quick free kick to the far post from Liam Rice found Jones whose shot was turned round for a corner by Bastock. The Tigers defence failed to deal with the resulting corner as Brown headed home to give the visitors the lead on 56 minutes.

The Tigers quickly went in search of an equaliser; Steve Towers having a 30 yard shot pushed onto the post and away for a corner by McMahon. Then a good run and cross by Roe set up Young whose shot was blocked for a corner.

Worksop had a glorious chance to equalise when Denton flicked on Ryan Clarke’s free kick to the unmarked Ball who put his free header over the bar from close range.

As the home side continued to press McMahon pushed Mettam’s shot from the corner of the penalty area round the post for a corner.

On 79 minutes the Tigers’ equaliser came as Denton flicked a long ball down the middle into the path of Mettam who calmly slotted home past McMahon from eight yards out.

With the game approaching the 90 minute mark, the home side appealed vehemently for a penalty as Burbeary’s shot appeared to be deflected by a hand.

But the referee only gave a corner; from which Denton put a header just wide.

Noon nearly snatched the points for the visitors in added time as he curled a shot just wide of the post from the edge of the penalty area.

Then in the final action of the game Roe made a good run into the box but as McMahon parried his shot Denton could not quite get on the end of the rebound.

Worksop Town

Paul Bastock 7, Ryan Clarke 7, Phil Roe 7, Martin Ball 7, Luke Shiels (Matt Young 3 mins, 7), KERN MILLER 8, Craig King 7, Steve Towers (c) 7, Tom Denton 7, Leon Mettam 7, Ash Burbeary 7 (Nathan Modest 94 mins)

Unused subs: Lee Ridley, Ash Jackson, Sam Jepson

Goal: Leon Mettam (79 mins)


Ryan McMahon, Shaun Dowling, John Shaw, Matty Brown, Danny Grannon, Robbie Lawton, Karl Noon, Jonathan Goulding, Will Jones, Nick Rogan (Alan Burton 78 mins), Matty Devine (Liam Rice 51 mins)

Unused subs: Michael Ordish, Paul Jones, Callum Williams

Goal: Matty Brown (56 mins)

MoM: Kern Miller

Att. 288

Referee: M Howes

Assistants: M Curwood & A Giles