Worksop Town knocked out of FA Vase by Tadcaster Albion

A SUPERB win for fast-improving Awsworth Villa.
A SUPERB win for fast-improving Awsworth Villa.

Worksop Town exited the FA Vase at the third round stage after being beaten 4-1 by title rivals Tadcaster Albion.

First half goals from Josh Barrett &and Adam Baker gave The Brewers a deserved two goal lead going into the half-time break before Nick Black and a stunning second from Baker saw Taddy march on to Round 3.

Worksop did pull a goal back through Steve Woolley’s low drive but it was too little too late for the lacklustre Tigers.

The match between the two NCEL table toppers was finally being played after five recent postponements and it was the visitors who had the first effort at goal inside the first 60 seconds.

Tom Elliott played it through to the man who’s currently in a rich vein of form Andrew Ofosu, but the striker’s shot was tame and easily stopped by Gary Stevens.

The Brewers immediately countered straight from Stevens’ hands as Nick Black was too strong for Mark Peacock and, as Baker received the ball, he struck first time on his left-foot, John Kennedy in the Worksop goal was stranded however he was pleased to see the shot curl agonizingly wide of the post.

It was an even game for the first 10 minutes with both sides having many meaningful attacks but it was the Brewers who broke through first and opened the scoring on 10 minutes.

Gregg Anderson rifled a cross field pass to Adam Baker who gave it and got it back off Black, Black then crossed it low into the mix where Black superbly flicked backwards where two yellow shirts were waiting unmarked and Josh Barrett beat Jason Mycoe to the ball and said thank you very much and dinked terrifically over the hapless Kennedy.

Worksop were finding it difficult to get a clear sight of Taddy’s goal therefore set-pieces were good opportunities but these were also ineffective as 16 minutes in captain Conor Higginson bent a thirty yard free-kick three yards wide of the target.

It was 2-0 to Taddy on 38 minutes as some more sloppy passing from the visitors gave Adam Baker the chance one v one and in this situation as we have seen many times this season, there was only one winner.

He steamed at Jack Waddle in the Worksop back line, dropped his shoulder and went onto his weaker left foot and nonchalantly stroked the ball into the far corner. Taddy had clearly been brewing this performance for over two weeks.

The Tigers strived to get a goal back before half-time and they came close to reducing the deficit to one as Mitch Husbands held the ball inside the penalty area with his back to goal, swivelled and let fly but as he leant back the ball whistled narrowly over the crossbar.

Worksop’s best chance of the first half came from the unlikely source of full-back Philip Roe right on the stroke of half-time. After continuing his run, Roe received the ball off Ofosu inside the penalty area and the defender dug out a shot goal wards however it bobbled just wide of the mark.

A two goal cushion is never quite enough in football as we have found out, therefore the next goal was crucial in who would be advancing through to the Third Round of this year’s FA Vase.

The third goal of the evening was scored six minutes into the second half and it was the home side who got it as attacker Nick Black raced in behind the Tigers’ defence and ever so coolly in one swift movement touched it past the goalkeeper John Kennedy and rolled the ball into the back of the net to surely send Taddy through.

Jimmy Beadle was performing like a true captain once again, leading by example in midfield covering an incredible amount of ground and it was nearly 4-0 as the skipper played a lovely through ball to Baker whose fierce shot was superbly kept out by John Kennedy.

However, a matter of seconds later and Adam Baker did find the back of the net again and it was 4-0. The winger took it in some style as well as he let the ball run past him after receiving a throw in and absolutely caned it into the top corner, it was turning into a serious demolition job as the away side looked deflated by Taddy’s pace, power and precision.

Kennedy was starting to get sick of the wave after wave of Tadcaster attacks as he did well once again to keep out Nick Black getting his second.

Worksop Town had their best spell of the match in the final twenty minutes as they somehow looked for a way back into the cup tie. As Taddy’s back-line dropped deeper and with the match all but over, Worksop finally had the chance to pass the ball about and have a go at Tadcaster and to be fair to them they did just that.

They shifted the ball from side to side through the midfield but any speculative shot or teasing cross they made, Tad’s defence dealt with it comfortably.

However The Tigers did in fact pull a goal back which in the end proved to be merely a consolation as full-back Steve Woolley arrowed a shot into the bottom corner from an acute angle.

With the tie well and truly dead and buried, the home side could have made it even more embarrassing for the disgruntled travelling Tigers fans watching on as substitute Carl Stewart found the side netting with a low curler and shortly after Adam Baker who had an outstanding game could have sealed his hat-trick but he also blasted it into the side netting.

Tadcaster: Gary Stevens, Jordan Armstrong, Dan Clayton, Matt Heath, Gregg Anderson, Jason Mycoe, Josh Barrett (Conway 60), Liam Ormsby (Stewart 72), Nick Black, Jimmy Beadle, Adam Baker (Thompson 87)

Unused: Leon Wrigglesworth (GK)

Worksop: Kennedy, Woolley, Roe, Waddle, Hadfield, Peacock, Higginson, Harrison, Husbands, Ofosu, Elliott.

Subs: Adam, Cooke, Hobson, Cottingham, Ward

Attendance: 307.

Ref: Darren Whatling.