Worksop Town face FA Cup replay


Worksop face a difficult replay to progress in the FA Cup, after only managing to draw 2-2 with Ashton Athletic at Sandy Lane.

Tigers had started well on the ball, passing it around nicely. However, they were hit on the counter attack early in the game. Daniel Smith broke down the left for Ashton, whipped in a cross which Joel Brownhill slotted home at the far post.

Tigers responded superbly, win in a corner as Adam Scott’s cross needed tipping over. From the resulting set piece Steve Woolley whipped in the cross and Richard Adams headed home at the back post on 7 mins.

In what was proving a frantic start, Ashton almost took the lead once again. Adam Gilchrist with a good turn and his long range effort came back off the post.

A good attacking move from the home side saw another chance for Tigers. A cross into the box caused a bit of a scramble, leading to Woolley laying the ball off to Scott who fired narrowly over.

The game had become quite scrappy, with both teams struggling to keep possession. Suddenly though Scott burst into life on 33 mins, jinxing his way through the Ashton back line and floating a cross in. It was half cleared, but Woolley superbly volleyed home into the bottom corner to give Tigers the lead.

The home side were starting to find their passes, a superb flowing move seeing Scott in behind but he couldn’t quite get enough on his shot to beat the keeper.

Ashton had a glorious chance to equalise with the last kick of the first half. Brownhill putting a header wide when he looked certain to grab his second goal of the game, it was a huge let off for the men in orange.

The second half didn’t start as planned for Tigers. Connor Johnson needlessly giving a free kick away out wide, and from the resulting ball in Ashton were given a penalty. Smith confidently stepping up and blasting the ball home the level the scores.

Ashton’s equalizer seemed to take the wind out of Tigers sails, and they struggled to find any real rhythm during the second half. Both sides just about forced saves from the goalkeepers, but they were tame efforts and overall there wasn’t a lot of quality on show from either side, with Ashton seemingly happy take a draw and to go to a replay.

The visitors did manage a couple of decent through balls which cut through the Tigers backline, but Captain Jon Kennedy, who was solid throughout the game and commanded his box well, did well to rush out his goal and deny the Ashton forwards.

Tigers really missed the presence of Jack Waddle in midfield. Without his hustling and closing down the home side seemed to just lack something in the middle of the park and struggled to build any attacks, mainly resulting to long balls which too often ended in nothing.

Scott was kept very quiet, both by decent Ashton defending and poor quality from his teammates, but he almost conjured something from nothing as the clock ticked over into injury time. His darting run and effort was deflected wide of the far post, it was a rare moment of attacking intent from a team that looked tired from the midweek thriller against Cleethorpes.

In the end there was nothing between the sides and we head to a replay to decide who will progress, but one thing is for sure Mark Shaw will know his players have to improve on their display if they are to keep their FA Cup run alive.

Tigers: KENNEDY 7, Hodder 6, Johnson 4, Nightingale 5, Adams 6, Fenton 5, Woolley 6, Harrison 5 (Hawkins 77) , Husbands (Somes 5 12mins) Scott 6, Jordan 5 (Fereday 61).

Subs not used: Pugh, Wesley.

Ashton Athletic: Pearson, Blythe, Howard, Shepherd (Middlemore 61), Holden, Wilson, Regan, Bailey, Gilchrist (Simpson 84) Smith, Brownhill.

Subs not used: Sargent.

Goals: Adams 7, Woolley 33; Brownhill 6, Smith 53.

Referee: Mr M Fryer

Attendance: 486