Worksop Town “dodge a bullet” at Rainworth

Rainworth Miners Welfare FC v Worksop Town FC, Rainworth celebrate their goal
Rainworth Miners Welfare FC v Worksop Town FC, Rainworth celebrate their goal

Disappointed Worksop Town boss Ryan Hindley said the Tigers dodged a bullet after Rhys Davies salvaged a Northern Counties East League Premier Division point with a dramatic last-gasp equaliser at Rainworth Miners’ Welfare.

Davies scored with virtually the last kick to make it 1-1, but Hindley said extending the Tigers’ unbeaten run was the only positive he would take from the game.

Rainworth Miners Welfare FC v Worksop Town FC

Rainworth Miners Welfare FC v Worksop Town FC

“We dodged a bullet if I am being honest. We have not performed and the keeper has kept us in the game,” he said.

“I have just told them that we were very lucky. We had eight players who were not at the races.

“I can’t take any positives out of that performance. All I can say is that it is another game unbeaten — and that’s it.”

Tomas Poole smashed in a powerful low effort to put the home side ahead in the 63rd minute.

The visitors then pressed for an equaliser before eventually substitute Davies snatched a point with a drive from just inside the box.

Hindley added: “I feel like we are only playing 45 minutes at a time right now. We have had one shot all game and I will certainly be looking for improvements.”

Jake Currie was picked amongst the substitutes, but the manager said he was still a couple of weeks away from returning to action.

“We had a spare spot on the bench and thought we would name him. It was more to allow him to sit in the dugout and get back around the squad again, but we couldn’t have used him.”

In the early stages chances were hard to come by, although Worksop looked the more dangerous going forward and Jed Phillips’ good header at a corner was palmed away by Ben Townsend.

Moments later a great ball to the back post almost picked out Worksop striker Alec Denton.

The best opportunity for the Tigers in the first half came when defender Sam Liversidge flicked a header from a corner over the keeper, only for a Rainworth defender to scoop the ball off the line.

Minutes in to the second half Worksop nearly took the lead again as Denton’s fierce shot rattled the woodwork.

Just after the hour mark Rainworth took the lead, Worksop failed to clear and the ball fell to Poole, who hit a terrific low effort that fizzed past Tigers keeper Jason Alexander.

Ten minutes from time, as the Tigers pressed, a long throw into the box was cleared at the Wrens hit back on the break with former Football League striker Nathan Modest bursting through on goal. He hit a great strike but it was matched by an equally good save by Alexander.

The home side almost made the points safe again when substitute Bryan Dakouri picked out the unmarked Niall Smith, whose volley crashed against the bar.

Worksop made them pay in the final seconds as winger Davies cut inside, beat his man and hit a fierce low effort that clipped the post on its way into the back of the net.

Worksop Town: Alexander, Hodder, Phillips, Jepson(Davies), Liversidge (Wankiewicz), Varley, Barnett, Thompson, Denton, Turner (Chappell), Bishop. Unused subs: Higginson, Currie.