Worksop Town beaten by title rivals Tadcaster Albion

Action from Worksop Town v Tadcaster Albion at Sandy Lane on Wednesday October 21st 2015. Tom Elliot in action for Worksop.
Action from Worksop Town v Tadcaster Albion at Sandy Lane on Wednesday October 21st 2015. Tom Elliot in action for Worksop.

Worksop Town went down to a disappointing 2-1 defeat in the top of the table clash at Sandy Lane on Wednesday night.

A massive crowd of 879 packed into the ground to see leaders Tadcaster Albion extend their lead thanks to a slick first half performance, and a comfortable second half showing.

Action from Worksop Town v Tadcaster Albion at Sandy Lane on Wednesday October 21st 2015. Kyle Jordan in action for Worksop.

Action from Worksop Town v Tadcaster Albion at Sandy Lane on Wednesday October 21st 2015. Kyle Jordan in action for Worksop.

Tigers gave themselves a mountain to climb, going down to 10 men with Julian Lawrence red carded for a second poor challenge after the break.

The evening’s raucous atmosphere was enjoyable throughout, but after the game police were called as a handful of troublemakers attempted to fight the away fans.

Liam Ormsby attempted to start the game with a bang, sending a full blooded volley over the top from 30 yards after Tom Elliott had lost the ball.

But Tadcaster didn’t have long to wait for the opener, Nick Black sweeping in a fine effort in the third minute after a quick break from the visitors.

Conor Higginson created the home side’s first half chance, driving down the right and putting the ball across the area and out of play, his team-mates not close enough to get a touch.

Tadcaster looked dangerous on the break, but Tigers were creating chances too, Mitch Husbands bringing cheers from the main stand who thought his low shot had crept in, but it fell the wrong side of the post.

After a spell of Worksop pressure, Callum Harrison lost out in a challenge in the centre circle and Tadcaster were away again, Jason Mycoe punishing the mistake with a fierce drive into the net from distance.

Jimmy Beadle looked to make it 3-0 seconds later, but his shot was deflected over the bar.

The goal seemed to knock the confidence out of the home side and Tadcaster took over, winning a couple of corners and pressing high up the pitch to frustrate Worksop.

A rare Tigers foray upfield saw Elliott find Higginson and his left foot shoot flew just wide.

One end-to-end phase of play summed up the first period, Adam Ward giving the ball away carelessly for Tigers, Tadcaster breaking through Black who was pulled down by Jack Waddle to earn a yellow.

The game should have been dead and buried just before half-time when Adam Baker sprinted clear and squared the ball across the Worksop box for Black, but the striker ballooned over the bar from a couple of yards.

Black then found the ball on his forehead after Kennedy failed to punch clear, and somehow the score remained 2-0, the goalkeeper recovering.

Worksop might have suffered a rollicking at the break, but it was Tadcaster who came out and created the first chance, Baker haring away from the defence and shooting high and wide.

Conor Sellars was sent on six minutes after the break, replacing Ward, and it didn’t take long for the substitute to try his luck, shooting over from 25 yards.

Tigers gradually began to work their way back into the game, and made their best chance of the match when Kyle Jordan knocked the ball down to Husbands and his volley was brilliantly saved by Gary Stevens.

Play moved down the pitch on 66 minutes and when Julian Lawrence went into a reckless tackle, his second yellow card was inevitable and Worksop had a mountain to climb.

The 10 men came close again through Elliott who blasted a shot over the top from the edge of the box.

The bravery of Elliott then kept Tigers in with a sniff, heading off the line as Matt Heath threatened to nod in the third, instead connecting with the midfielder and conceding a free-kick.

In the final minute of the 90 there was an unlikely lifeline, Steve Woolley turning and firing home after a good spell of pressure from Worksop, lifting the crowd as four minutes were added on.

But that was to be the last chance of the game, as Tadcaster saw out the remaining time to extend their lead at the top of the table.

It was a good 10 minutes after the final whistle that some trouble broke out near the exit gate, as a group of locals tried to approach away fans.

Stewards, Worksop Town players and officials waded in to calm the incident, which could have been avoided had the two sets of fans been kept separate until Tadcaster’s supporters were safely on their bus.

It shouldn’t be allowed to dictate the narrative of the evening however, with two title contenders playing out another dramatic encounter for a largely appreciative audience.

Worksop: Kennedy 6, Woolley 6, WADDLE 6, Lawrence 6, Husbands 6 (Fereday 74), Cooke 6, Higginson 6, Harrison 5, Ward 5 (Sellars 51), Jordan 5 (Adam 80), Elliott 5. Not used: Hobson, Roe.

Tadcaster: Stevens, Armstrong, Clayton, Milne, Heath, Mycoe, Baker (Stewart 86), Ormsby, Black, Beadle, Greening. Not used: Barrett, Thompson, Beestin, Woodhead.

Referee: Mr D. Plowright. Assistants: Mr S. Mason, Mr D. Hunt.

Goalscorers: Woolley 90; Black 3, Mycoe 25

Yellows: Waddle 37, Lawrence 54

Red: Lawrence 66

Attendance: 879.