Worksop keep the NCEL title race alive by hitting EIGHT past Maltby, as Shaw Lane and Tadcaster slip up

editorial image

Worksop Town kept the NCEL Premier title race alive until at least Tuesday, with a ruthless 8-0 hammering of near neighbours Maltby Main.

The final home game of the season saw Tigers cut loose, and overhaul league leading Shaw Lane’s seven-goal goal difference advantage.

Results elsewhere went their way too, Shaw Lane held by Nostell Miners Welfare and third placed Tadcaster losing to Cleethorpes.

If Shaw Lane beat Cleethorpes on Tuesday they will be champions – if not it all goes down to next Saturday’s finale, when Tigers visit Tadcaster and Shaw Lane host bottom side Glasshoughton.

Worksop were in no mood to give up on their promotion dream in front of over 400 at Sandy Lane.

It beggared belief that they weren’t ahead inside three minutes, Ben Brunt saving from Conor Sellars and defenders blocking follow ups from Adam Ward and Andy Ofosu.

Brunt denied Sellars again, and his post kept a Ward shot out, before Ross Henshaw had a header cleared off the line.

It wasn’t until the 18th minute that Worksop found the net, and it was Man of the Match Ward who got it, on his full debut, nipping in to steer home Sellars’ cross.

There were gasps of dismay around the ground when Tom Elliott hooked the ball across the Maltby goal and Ofosu only had to make contact, but kicked thin air.

But it was 2-0 before the half hour mark, nice football from Ofosu, Elliott and Phil Roe giving Higginson time to place a shot inside the left hand post.

Ofosu made amends for his earlier miss when Sellars’ beautiful lofted pass put the striker clear, and he touched it past Brunt to roll home number three.

A challenge on Elliott brought a flare up, Higginson earning a yellow card alongside Maltby’s Joe Davies in the final meaningful action of the half.

Most inside the ground expected a second half onslaught, and after a sloppy start they got it.

Elliott fired the first warning shot, volleying straight at Brunt from Higginson’s pass.

The fourth goal arrived on 66 minutes, Elliott spinning out of a tackle and playing it into the feet of Sellars who was in acres of space, and he provided a cool finish.

Two minutes later it was 5-0, Sellars arrowing a stunning 25 yard free-kick into the top left hand corner, from out on the right.

Boss Mark Shaw was urging his men forward to improve their goal difference, and there was disbelief in the home dugout when Kyle Jordan squared the ball for Elliott, just a few yards out with the keeper nowhere, and he put it wide.

With seven minutes remaining Worksop grabbed their sixth - Wafula squaring it to substitute Kyle Jordan who poked it past Brunt.

Some sublime skill from another replacement Conor Johnson took him past four Maltby players before Brunt pulled off a fantastic save.

Johnson, who impressed in his cameo role, set up Ward to slot home number seven, and in time added on Jordan played in Elliott who erased memories of his miss with the eighth.

Worksop: Stewart 7, Wafula 8, Roe 8, Henshaw 8, Liversidge 8, WARD 8, Sellars 8 (Johnson 79), Cottingham 8, Ofosu 8 (Husbands 65), Higginson 8 (Jordan 65), Elliott 8. Not used: Waddle, Burgin.

Maltby Main: Brunt, Cuckson, Pierpont, Jones, Hibbert, Coker (Barnfield 23), Thomas, Davies, Cusworth, Fearon, Kelly. Not used: Gilbert.

Goalscorers: Ward 18, 90, Higginson 29, Ofosu 37, Sellars 66, 68, Jordan 83, Elliott 90

Yellows: Higginson 45; Davies 45

Referee: Mr. H. Karaivanov.

Assistants: Mr S. Mason, Mr R. Jackson.

Attendance: 428.