Weakened side crash out of the cup

A WEAKENED Worksop Town crashed out of the Doodson League Cup at North Ferriby on Tuesday night.

The Tigers team included Under 19 players Alex Nightingale and Aaron Lowder, while James Cotterill, Mark Hudson, Ashley Burbeary, Steve Gardner and Jamie Jackson were left out of the starting 11.

It was Worksop’s fourth fixture against Ferriby this season, and the fourth time they’ve failed to beat the men in green and white.

The home side opened the scoring as Paul Harsley converted from the penalty spot after Jon Worsnop brought down Gary Bradshaw.

With half-time approaching Nightingale scored for the visitors following good play from Massiah McDonald and Craig King.

A mistake by Luke Sharry let Alex Davidson in to score from the edge of the box before the interval.

Hudson and Burbeary came on at half-time but it was Bradshaw who made 3-1 direct from a free-kick on 59 minutes.

A bizarre goal on 64 minutes sealed it for Ferriby.

Nathan Peat was fouled, the referee clearly blew for the foul, but Peat managed to get his shot away, and although everyone stopped the referee allowed the goal to stand.

On 75 minutes McDonald beat two defenders before firing into the roof of the net to make it 4-2.

Referee Mr Street upset the Worksop faithful again on 88 minutes as McDonald was rugby tackled to the floor, but he gave the free-kick to the home side.

North Ferriby United: Rob Moy, Anthony Lloyd, Kevin Larvin, Paul Harsley (Dominic Riordan 68), Nathan Peat, Sam Denton (Sam Belcher 87), Wayne Brooksby, Timothy Taylor (James Bennett 52), Chris Bolder, Gary Bradshaw, Alex Davidson. Not used: James Williams.

Worksop Town: Jon Worsnop 6, Chris Wood 7, Owain Warlow 5, Matt Young 5 (Mark Hudson 45), Luke Shiels 6 (James Cotterill 70), Marc Roberts 5, Alex Nightingale 6, Luke Sharry 5 Ashley Burbeary 45), Massiah McDonald 6, Craig King 7, Aaron Lowder 5. Not used: Adam Powell, Reece Richardi.

Referee: Mr D. Street.

Assistants: Mr M. Knowles and Mr A. Bannister.

Attendance: 177.