VIDEO: Free scoring Worksop put four past the Bucks

Free scoring Tigers made it three impressive away wins on the bounce, with a 4-2 victory at Buxton on Wednesday.

Another lightning quick start gave way to a gritty and determined display in a pulsating, and often physical encounter.

It took Tigers only three minutes to find the net, their three strikers combining.

Jack Muldoon found Leon Mettam, his shot was parried but not held by Andy Warrington and Tom Denton was there to poke home the rebound, notching his fourth goal in four games.

But the lead didn’t last long, former Tiger Craig King turning Jordan Lemon inside out before finding Leon Osborne who simply swept the ball under Brad Hallam for a seventh minute equaliser.

Worksop went straight down the other end however, Muldoon giving the ball to Mettam who was hauled down by Ash Palmer.

The skipper took the spot kick and placed it in the bottom corner to make it 2-1 on 11 minutes.

A frenetic opening quarter of an hour was then crowned with Tigers’ third, Mettam sending Higginson away and the midfielder put in an inch perfect ball for Denton to slide home his second.

Incredibly, it should have been 4-1 only a minute later, some lovely football releasing Muldoon through the middle, his shot was too central and Warrington saved.

The goalkeeper pulled off a world class save almost immediately after, Muldoon crossing for Higginson whose point blank effort looked a goal all the way until Warrington clawed it out.

The game settled down for a period, although King looked dangerous for the hosts and Worksop put together some nice phases of play.

Right at the end of the first half Buxton pulled another back, Osborne there to force the ball home after Worksop made a mess of defending a corner.

The first chance of the second half fell to King, whose blast was saved by Hallam.

And as Worksop looked to go down the other end, Steven Istead hacked Higginson to earn the first yellow.

The Buxton skipper was subbed a minute later as things got fraught, and he had words with Worksop boss Mark Shaw on his way off.

Shane Clarke did well to turn his marker on the edge of the box, and his floated ball to the back post eluded everyone.

Things threatened to boil over when Roe’s flying run down the flank was halted by a horrible challenge from Derek Niven, who was perhaps lucky to see only yellow.

Muldoon’s cross found Mettam in space in the box after a good break, but his shot was saved well by Warrington, and Higginson’s follow up cleared the bar.

Denton was then denied his hat-trick by Warrington, after a scramble in the box saw the ball fall at his feet.

The big striker had another unexpected chance when a corner was nodded on by Hill and Denton’s instinctive strike curled wide.

A slick move by the men in blue released Morris, Hallam coming out quickly to save.

The resulting corner created a scramble in the area and an overhead kick hit Salt on the line, Worksop fortunate to keep their lead.

King then tried his luck from distance and Hallam got in the way, before Worksop broke and scored a decisive fourth.

Davies sent replacement Shaq McKenzie away down the left, he hared past his marker and crossed to the middle where Higginson’s slotted past the helpless Warrington.

Buxton: Warrington, Black, Green (Johnson 45), Istead (Morris 50), Broadhead, Palmer, Thornhill, Niven, Osborne, Dean (Lugsden 77) , King. Not used: Stevens, Ryan.

Worksop: Hallam 6, Lemon 6, Roe 6, Davies 6, Salt 7, Hill 7, Muldoon 7 (McKenzie 73), Clarke 7, DENTON 8, Mettam 8, Higginson 8 (Wall 90). Not used: Pursehouse, Cottingham, Adams.

Referee: Mr O. Yates. Assistants: Mr D. Critchlow, Mr J. Jacobs.

Goals: Osborne 7, ; Denton 3, 15, Mettam 11, Higginson 85.

Yellows: Istead 47, Niven 54, Morris 57.


Attendance: 271.