Trinity lose in season opener

Gainsborough Trinity manager Steve Housham described his side as ‘they’re own worst enemy’ after they lost their first game of the 2012/13 season on home soil to Gloucester City.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 21st August 2012, 1:44 pm

Darren Mullings strike early into the first period was enough to see off newly promoted skipper Michael Leary’s side to their first defeat of the campaign.

“I can’t defend my players, 90 per cent of them did not perform, and we have gone from being a professional unit in pre-season, and now they were all scared to have the ball,” said Housham.

A defensive error inside the first minute from summer signing Greg Young allowed Gloucester to take possession on the edge of Trinity’s area, but Luke Waterfall’s vital last ditch interception proved vital in keeping Trinity in the game.

After last season’s disappointment in the play-offs, Trinity were determined to improve and sprung their first attack of the new season, an inch perfect ball to the highly rated newbie Young, who could only head over the bar.

Gloucester deservedly took the lead after 14 minutes. A defensive mix up inside Trinity’s penalty area allowed Edwards room to shoot. Budtz saved the first attempt excellently but Trinity then failed to clear and Mullings blasted into a empty net.

The visitors started the second half where they left off in the first. Goalscorer Mullings should of done better but his left foot shot blazed wide.

Trinity battled on bravely and their efforts almost paid off after 70 minutes when a Jamie Yates cross found Paul Connor who could only head wide.

Mullings was proving to be a really handful for the Trinity back four, having numerous chances to test Budtz.

With the clock ticking away, Trinity pushed more men forward to try and pull level, however, they were almost caught off guard when Ben Hunt beat Young at the back and fired a shot straight at Budtz.

Trinity then had the ball in the net just before the final whistle. Darryn Stamp smashed the ball home from inside the six yard box, however, referee Matthew Walsh deemed Connor to have fouled the visitor’s goalkeeper.

After the match, Housham issued the players with warnings, telling them there will be changes.

“I said to the lads after the game: ‘don’t be surprised if there is changes in the side’. They just didn’t perform on the day and like I said there will be changes,” he added.