Toothless Tigers fall at Ferriby

TWO defensive errors proved decisive for Worksop Town on Tuesday night, as they were beaten 2-0 by North Ferriby United.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 5th September 2012, 10:14 am

The Rapid Solicitors Stadium has been an unhappy hunting ground for Worksop for years, and they’ve now failed to register a win there in seven outings.

Defeat at North Ferriby directly preceded the sacking of Martin McIntosh last season, and contributed to the departure of Peter Rinkcavage a year before that.

On Tuesday, unable to register a single shot on target during the entire game, Tigers didn’t deserve a first away victory of the season.

Their toothless strikeforce failed to give Ferriby stopper Adam Nicklin a save to make, while the midfield struggled to retain possession or create.

But the performance would probably have merited a point, had individual mistakes from Luke Shiels and Adie Hawes not led to the hosts’ goals.

Goals in the first half from Ryan Kendall and the ever dangerous Gary Bradshaw were enough to keep the points at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Danny Clarke had a drive at goal from the right early on but it barely tested Paul Bastock.

Lee Beeson surprised everyone in the ground by digging out a wonderful cross from what seemed an impossible angle, but Leon Mettam couldn’t get a touch at the near post.

Craig King then set Bruno Holden free on the left and the big striker managed to reach the byline but overran the ball.

Bastock was in action on 23 minutes saving from Bradshaw’s low effort and then a failed offside trap sprang Bradshaw free and the keeper denied him once more.

On the half hour mark a defensive error undid all of Worksop’s early hard work as Shiels miscontrolled on the edge of his own box, Ryan Kendall took full advantage and put the ball past Bastock for 1-0.

There was a further blow for the visitors when Shiels went flying into a fantastic tackle to halt the progress of Nathan Peat, but remained prone on the ground with a knee injury.

The centre-half was carried from the field on a stretcher, Hawes making his entrance.

Unfortunately for the substitute, one of his first touches set the hosts on an attack, and although Ferriby had to settle for a corner, it led to the second goal.

The initial set piece was cleared, the ball came back in and a miskick landed at the feet of Bradshaw who drilled it home with aplomb.

Coming two minutes before the break, the goal put the East Yorkshire men fully in control.

Things could have got even worse for Simon Clark and his side when Ludlam’s blocked clearance fell to Bradshaw and he lofted it over Bastock, but Sam Craven did brilliantly to hook off the line.

The ineffective Bruno Holden came off before the hour was up and Massiah McDonald made an appearance.

But it was a defender who threatened for Worksop, Ryan Clarke storming forward and getting hold of the ball in the box, beating a man and sliding his shot just wide of the far post.

McDonald went down in search of a penalty with 20 minutes remaining but all he got was a yellow card for diving, summing up Worksop’s frustration.

With a comfortable lead North Ferriby took their foot off the gas, but in truth were as unimpressive as their visitors when they did have possession, the game failing to excite at either end.

Hawes should have done better with a free header from a corner, the ball clearing the bar comfortably as Nicklin remained untested.

His opposite number was needed late on to save from Peat’s cross-cum-shot and the full-time whistle saw Clark march his men over to the away support to show appreciation.

North Ferriby United: Nicklin, Lisles, Peat, L. King, Anderson, Foot, D. Clarke (Bolder 68), Fry, Bradshaw, Kendall, Hunter (Ridley 76). Not used: Muldoon, Gray, Moy.

Worksop Town: BASTOCK 7, R. Clarke 6, Craven 5, Shiels 6 (Hawes 37 6), Ludlam 6, Beeson 5, Telling 5 (Young 79), Towers 6, Mettam 5, Holden 5 (McDonald 56), C. King 6. Not used: Wood, Warlow.

Referee: A. Smith. Assistants: B. Cass, C. Hitchcock.

Goalscorers: Kendall 30, Bradshaw 43.

Yellows: McDonald 70.

Attendance: 238.

Match of the Match: Paul Bastock.