Tigers roar back into second as Barton have a man sent off and a centre-half scores goal of the season

Worksop celebrate Sam Liversidge's goal of the season at Barton (Pic: Steve Hope)
Worksop celebrate Sam Liversidge's goal of the season at Barton (Pic: Steve Hope)

Worksop Town roared back up into second place in the NCEL Premier with one of their best performances in weeks, and a 5-1 win at Barton Town Old Boys.

Tigers were 3-0 to the good by half-time, before Sam Liversidge scored the goal of the season and Tom Elliott got his second of the night after the break.

Andy Ofosu is brought down by Rick Watson for a penalty to Worksop. Pic: Steve Hope

Andy Ofosu is brought down by Rick Watson for a penalty to Worksop. Pic: Steve Hope

Barton, like so many teams this season, became frustrated and ended the game with 10 men.

Worksop had the perfect start, going 1-0 up in the seventh minute with their first real bit of passing play.

The ball was worked down the right, Andy Ofosu stayed onside and drove a cross to the near post where Elliott turned to flick past Rick Watson.

The lead was almost doubled a minute later, Conor Sellars’ free-kick met by Liversidge at the back post and his header just drifted past the far upright.

On 11 minutes it was 2-0, Higginson seeing his first shot saved, then slamming home from 12 yards when Ofosu’s follow up was blocked.

Barton had their first sniff of goal when Jon Stewart spilled a cross and his defence had to recover, Ross Henshaw blocking a fierce effort.

The sheer pace of Ofosu, and a poor touch, took him past two defenders and into the clear, reaching the ball just in time to touch it past Watson before Chris Gowen cleared off the line.

Ofosu stretched his legs again and got in behind, beating Watson to the ball but going down under the keeper’s challenge to earn a penalty.

Sellars faced a long wait before he could take the spot-kick, as Ofosu received treatment, but eventually stepped up and beat Watson.

Tigers were rampant, and Ofosu was causing all sorts of problems.

A lovely piece of skill from Sellars allowed him to control a difficult ball before releasing Ofosu, the big striker blasting a half volley goalwards, Watson making a fine save.

A free-flowing counter attack saw Henshaw burst out of defence and play it down the line for Ofosu, he found Higginson and the striker squared it for Sellars, Watson making another stop.

And the keeper had to be sharp again seconds later, getting down to beat out Sellars cross-cum-shot.

The second half started in even better fashion to the first, Sellars whipping a free-kick to the far side of the box where Liversidge struck the sweetest volley, curling the ball back across goal into the net.

Tigers were still celebrating when Barton went up the other end and Corey Mortimer’s weak shot squirmed under Stewart to make it 4-1.

Chris Adam had the fifth goal in sight as he ran onto Jono Wafula’s inviting cross, making contact but seeing his shot blocked.

The game boiled over on 63 minutes, Higginson and Henry Gill tussling on the touchline, the Barton man missing with two elbows before he finally levelled the Tiger with a third - referee Mark Swift quick to flash the red card.

There was time for another goal, substitute Adam Ward waltzing through the middle with his first touch and sliding the ball through for Elliott, who rounded the keeper to complete the scoring.

Barton Town OB: Rick Watson, Gareth Owen, Chris Gowen (, Sam Belcher, Gareth Barlow, Brad Ricketts (Henry Gill 29), Danny Norton, Josh Baker, Danny Chambers (Jez Hartley 79), Ashley Lattimore, Corey Mortimer. Not used: Joe McFadyen, Alex Sherwood.

Worksop Town: Stewart 7, Wafula 7, Roe 7, Henshaw 7, Liversidge 8, Cottingham 8, Sellars 8, Adam 7 (Johnson 72), Ofusu 8 (Jordan 76), Higginson 8 (Ward 83), ELLIOTT 8. Not used: Husbands, Waddle.

Referee: Mark Swift.

Assistants: Nicholas Cook, David Jones.

Goalscorers: Mortimer 50; Elliott 7, 84, Higginson 11, Sellars 28, Liversidge 48

Yellows: Watson 26, Gowen 80

Red: Gill 63