Tigers party in Liversedge as Liversidge stars in a rout

editorial image

The players and supporters of Worksop Town turned a miserable night in West Yorkshire into a party, after a comfortable 4-0 victory.

Tigers took their time to get going, in the freezing wind and rain, but by full-time every single pass was getting the ‘olé’ treatment from a vocal travelling support.

And news that title rivals Tadcaster had lost to Thackley sent the Worksop contingent home even happier.

Neither Mitch Husbands nor Jono Wafula recovered from the injuries picked up in Saturday’s draw with Heanor, and Tom Burgin missed out through work, Andy Ofosu, James Cottingham and Chris Whincop coming in to take their places in a 4-3-3 system.

Ross Henshaw almost gifted the home side an opener, playing a weak pass across the pitch that Eli Hey intercepted and shot goalwards, Jon Stewart making a good stop.

Liversedge piled on the pressure with a series of corners, one of which came agonisingly close to creeping in before Jake Scott cleared.

But it was the visitors who opened the scoring, Tom Elliott teeing up Cottingham who drilled a fine shot into the top right hand corner.

Tigers failed to take control again following the goal, giving away possession in dangerous areas necessitating another stop from Stewart.

When Worksop did get forward, Whincop whipped in a cross that reached Higginson, the striker unable to get enough purchase on his toe poke.

Good work by Ofosu set up Elliott for a run to the near post, the midfielder taking keeper Josh Avery out of the equation before his pass to Whincop was nicked away.

Ofosu then looked odds on to score, darting into the box from Whincop’s pass, his shot blocked at the last second.

After a long spell of dominance from Worksop, Liversedge broke out and won a corner that forced Jake Scott into a wayward header, just past his own post.

Three minutes before the interval Higginson gave his side some breathing space, running into the box and curling the ball home in style.

Tigers forged two good chances early in the second half, and could have been out of sight had it not been for last ditch defending.

Ofosu ran onto Sellars’ through ball, beat the keeper and saw his goalbound shot hacked away, then Sam Liversidge had a fierce shot headed over by a defender.

On the hour mark Liversidge had the goal his performance deserved, hammering home at the back post after a corner found its way through.

Henshaw picked up a booking for what looked like a good tackle, then blocked a shot with his chest a few yards out.

A foul on Higginson allowed Sellars to slot home from the penalty spot, and become the club’s leading goalscorer with 17 for the season.

Scott’s game then came to an end when he made a sublime last gasp tackle to deny a goalscoring opportunity, picking up a knock in the process.

Frank Zola’s foul on 87 minutes brought the red card out, as home tempers frayed, and Tigers stroked the ball around to the delight of their fans to see out the remaining minutes in style and spark a final whistle sing song in the stands.

Liversedge: Josh Avery, Lewis Andra, Brook Newton, Andrew Sunley, Glen O’Gara, Joel Farrar, Jawmeez Nawaz, Frank Zola, Eli Hey, Kieran Corley (Haley 76), Mitchell Pearson. Not used: 14 Tom Jackson, 15 Andrew Wood, 16 Liam Scott-Bell.

Worksop: Stewart 7, Cottingham 7, Roe 7, Henshaw 6, LIVERSIDGE 8, Whincop 7, Sellars 6, Scott 7 (Hawkins 68), Ofosu 6 (Jordan 76), Higginson 7 (Adam 85), Elliott 6. Not used: Townsend, Shaw.

Goalscorers: Cottingham 10, Higginson 42, Liversidge 60, Sellars 73 (pen)

Yellows: Farrar 45, Hey 66, Sunley 73, Andra 84; Henshaw 64

Red: Zola 87

Referee: Anthony Moore. Assistants: Gordan Durwood, Paul Philbin.