Tigers notch 100th league goal in 5-1 rout

Worksop Town returned to form with a bang, wracking up a number landmark goals in their mauling of Marine.

The 5-1 victory included their 100th league goal of the season, Leon Mettam’s 40th of the campaign, and Tom Denton’s 50th as a Tiger.

There were a couple of changes to the line-up for Worksop, Phil Roe missing out through injury and Chris Salt dropping to the bench, Warren Burrell and debutant Tom Burgin coming in.

Worksop were ahead in the fifth minute.

Despite a poor giveaway in midfield, they regained possession for Jack Muldoon to burst forward and feed Leon Mettam, the striker swinging it into the middle where Denton controlled and blasted home a lovely volley.

Denton went hunting a second, but he could only head over from Burgin’s flick on.

Marine’s first decent chance came when Andy Fowler was afforded an acre of space on the left, and his curled effort almost crept in.

The Merseyside men should have been level on 17 minutes, Burgin’s trip on Matty Devin handing them a penalty - Jonathan Stewart had other ideas however, getting down brilliantly to his right to save Fowler’s spot-kick.

The same visiting player then tried his luck from a long way out, but the result was the same, Stewart beating it out.

Mettam thought he’d scored with a fine looking free-kick, Sam Barnes getting his head to the ball to deflect it over.

The little striker was then at the centre of an incident that drew all the players into a scrum, Jonathan Goulding reacting to Mettam’s foul and engaging in a bit of wrestling.

Once the dust had settled both Mettam and Goulding received yellow cards.

Shane Clarke’s lovely piece of skill left two visiting players on the deck, colliding head first as the Tiger simply pulled the ball back.

Marine were incensed when Worksop made it 2-0 on, Jake Scott’s perfect free-kick flicked home off the bar by Burgin for a debut goal - although the visitors were convinced it hadn’t gone in.

There was promising football from both sides early in the second half, but only Marine had an end product, Liam Price and Devine shooting over.

But the third of the afternoon, and Worksop’s 100th league goal of the season, arrived when Burrell clipped down the line to Muldoon, he headed it on and Denton lashed home a beautiful volley from 25 yards.

Worksop fans were still celebrating the spectacular strike when Denton played in Muldoon, he drove to the near post and smashed in for 4-0.

An impressive debut for Burgin came to an end as Mark Shaw sent on Salt in his place with 18 minutes remaining.

Mettam’s afternoon finished a minute later, but not before he’d scored a close range goal at the second attempt, after some brilliant work by Muldoon.

Jamie Jackson, on for Mettam, was sprung through the middle until Sam Barnes pulled him back, Conor Higginson instead charging through and beating the keeper but not the post.

Stewart, determined to protect the clean sheet, made a great stop to deny Devine, but Marine took the corner quickly and suddenly the ball was in the net, coming off Salt and giving the furious keeper no chance.

Will Jones almost made it 5-2, but his audacious 25 yard curler came off the bar and rebounded to safety, and Worksop bounced back from last week’s disappointing defeat with an important three points.

Worksop Town: Stewart 7, Burrell 6, Pursehouse 6, Scott 6, Quinn 7, Burgin 7 (Salt 72), MULDOON 8, Clarke 7, Denton 8, Mettam 8 (Jackson 74), Higginson 6 (Goodfellow 77). Not used: Garnett, Thomas

Marine: Sean Lake, Connor Roberts-Nurse, Matty Devine, Dale Wright, Sam Barnes, Lee Parle (Liam Rice 37), Andy Fowler (Joe Fowler 66), Jonathan Goulding, Will Jones, Aaron Rey (Karl Noon 66), Ian Latham. Not used: Robbie Lawton, Callum Williams.

Referee: A. Hull. Assistants: A. Brown, D. Parkinson.

Goalscorers: Denton 5, 65 Burgin 38, Muldoon 67, Mettam 73; own goal 80

Yellows: Burgin 16, Mettam 27, Scott 36; Goulding 27, Barnes 78

Attendance: 330