Tigers clinch second spot in the NCEL Premier and show they’ve grown a Tad, with win over Brewers

Worksop Town finished as runners-up in the NCEL Premier Division after a 2-1 win at Tadcaster Albion, and were awarded with a trophy by league officials
Worksop Town finished as runners-up in the NCEL Premier Division after a 2-1 win at Tadcaster Albion, and were awarded with a trophy by league officials

Worksop Town secured second place in the NCEL Premier with a win over Tadcaster Albion, and showed how much they have grown this season.

In November they led the Brewers by a goal before succumbing to late pressure and conceding an equaliser.

The final day of the campaign saw them manfully withstand a similar onslaught, before celebrating a 2-1 victory and lifting the league’s runners-up trophy.

It was a fitting finish for Mark Shaw’s youngsters, in front of around 150 travelling supporters who voiced their appreciation all afternoon.

The game had a fractious start, Tom Burgin clattering into a home player, and Phil Roe seeing yellow for a late tackle a minute later.

Tigers settled into a nice rhythm early on, pressing Tadcaster to force mistakes and passing the ball well, a slick move almost putting Conor Higginson in.

Patient build up involving Conor Sellars, Tom Elliott and Higginson saw the latter fire the ball across goal, Andy Ofosu unable to get there.

It was a long ball that presented Tigers with their best chance of the opening half hour, however, Jon Stewart sending it down the middle where Higginson got in behind, but keeper Tom Morgan gathered.

The striker then found the ball at his feet at the far post, and when his first shot was blocked, he put a second into the side netting.

Disaster struck a few seconds later when Worksop failed to deal with a bouncing ball and Sam Liversidge fouled his man, the referee awarding a spot-kick that Callum Ward converted.

In first half injury time Worksop had a deserved equaliser, Sellars tripped in the box as he reached Higginson’s pass, the referee awarding the second penalty of the game.

Sellars picked himself up and coolly dispatched it from 12 yards.

Tadcaster had a brighter start to the second half, but found themselves behind on 52 minutes as Sellars produced yet another piece of set-piece magic.

A foul on Higginson resulted in a yellow for Josh Barrett, and Sellars curled the free-kick into the far corner of the net, from a similar position to the one he netted a week previous.

Tadcaster were looking a frustrated side, but when they passed the ball they threatened, substitute Danny Gray sending a shot just over the top.

The frustration got the better of Gray, who saw yellow when he scythed down Ross Henshaw who had skipped through three Albion tackles, and the card was out again for Tiger Tom Burgin for blocking the run of Tom Gore.

Albion piled on the pressure and came close when Dennie Ingham flashed a header onto the crossbar.

In time added on the ball sat up beautifully for Nick Thompson, Stewart diving to his left to palm away a stinging volley.

Ward had the best chance of the lot, heading over from two yards as Tadcaster realised it was not their day.

Tigers then celebrated the win, and a fine season that saw them come so close to a title.

Tadcaster: Morgan, Barrett, Bissett (Kamara 69), Thompson, Milne, Ingram, Brown (Gray 64), Claisse, Ward, Gore, Greening. Not used: Lawrie.

Worksop: Stewart 8, Wafula 8, Roe 8, Henshaw 8, Liversidge 8, BURGIN 8, Sellars 8 (Johnson 86) Cottingham 7, Ofosu 7 (Husbands 90), Higginson 7 (Ward 77), Elliott 7. Not used: Waddle, Jordan.

Referee: Martyn Rawcliffe. Assistants: Richard Cooper and James Thorburn.

Goalscorers: Ward 32 (pen); Sellars 45 (pen), 53.

Yellows: Barrett 52, Gray 81; Roe 3, Burgin 83.

Attendance: 551.