Tigers beaten by Evo-Stik Division One outfit

Worksop Town continued their pre-season programme with a 2-1 defeat at Evo-Stik Division 1 South side, Lincoln United.

Wednesday, 24th July 2013, 9:05 pm
Phil Roe comes forward

The game was played amid an electrical storm as both fork and sheet lightening lit up the sky, however, for large parts of the game there was nothing electric about the Tigers play.

Both sides started at a good tempo without creating any clear cut chances.

A good run and cross to the far post by Brad Kilburn appeared to set up a glorious chance for Tom Denton, only to see the offside flag raised.

Simon Mowbray shot just wide of the post as Lincoln started to apply some pressure.

The same player went even closer minutes later as his shot appeared destined for the bottom corner only for Adam Billard to produce a fine save.

Gio Carchedi was next to go close for the home side firing straight at Billard.

Then Danny Brooks fired a free-kick from the edge of the penalty area into the defensive wall.

With 39 minutes gone Lincoln took a deserved lead.

As the ball was played into the penalty area it bounced up hitting Ellis Wall on the hand, the assistant referee immediately signalling for a penalty. Brooks sending Billard the wrong way from the spot kick.

With half-time approaching Lincoln had a number of corners which the Tigers defence struggled to deal with; one of which went straight in from Brooks, however the referee disallowed the goal for an infringement on the goalkeeper.

Worksop started the second half brightly as they went in search of an equaliser, Denton heading a Josh Davies free-kick straight at Gavin Saxby.

Then a good passing move released Nathan Modest through on goal.

As he reached the edge of the penalty area he appeared to be brought down by John Leonard only for the referee to wave play on.

As the ball broke down the right hand side a good cross from Leon Mettam just eluded Modest.

At the other end Andy Hutchinson headed over a Brooks corner before Andy Toyne sliced a shot wide from 20 yards.

On 72 minutes the home side doubled their lead.

A poor clearing header by Josh Hill fell to Sam Triffit who buried his shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area.

Denton headed wide a Josh Davies free-kick as Worksop looked to get back into the game.

Modest nearly pulled a goal back for the Tigers when he saw his shot from close range blocked close to the line after Denton headed on Phil Roe’s corner.

With 10 minutes remaining Lincoln should have made it 3-0.

A mistake by Kern Miller let in Josh Bowden whose deflected cross fell to the unmarked Mowbray who could only hit the outside of the post from four yards out with the goal at his mercy.

Another dangerous in-swinging corner by Brooks was not dealt with by the Tigers and they were fortunate Mowbray couldn’t quite get on the end of it.

Worksop were given a lifeline two minutes from time when Saxby’s weak punch from Conor Higginson’s corner fell to Roe who buried it from close range to make it 2-1.

The Tigers had one final opportunity to grab an equaliser in added time, however Denton could only head Billard’s free kick straight into the arms of Saxby.

Worksop host North Ferriby, tonight (Thursday).