Tigers and Lions share the spoils at Heanor

FOOTBALL Heanorn FC v Worksop.
FOOTBALL Heanorn FC v Worksop.
Share this article

Worksop Town extended their unbeaten run to six matches with a hard fought 1-1 draw away at fellow promotion hopefuls Heanor Town..

Tom Elliott returned to the side following his recovery from injury with Jack Hawkins dropping to the bench in the only change from the side that defeated Cleethorpes Town.

Both sides had an early chance, Gary Ricketts seeing a volley well blocked whilst at the other end Elliott saw his goal bound shot hit Andre Johnson.

However, kicking down the slope it was the home side that started to take control. Ricketts saw a shot go just wide before Courey Grantham’s effort from Daniel Booth’s corner was well blocked.

Minutes later Grantham was denied again when his shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Ben Gathercole.

On 20 minutes Johnson had an excellent chance to put the Tigers ahead; Gathercole’s long clearance was headed on by Conor Sellars, Johnson outpacing former Tiger Adie Hawes to latch onto the ball before shooting straight at Ian Deakin.

A minute later the home side took the lead.

Booth’s free-kick to the back post was headed back across goal by Ricketts to Grantham who headed the ball back to Hawes to nod home from close range.

Once again Johnson showed his pace to outpace the home defence to run onto Gathercole’s long clearance, his shot being deflected over by Deakin for a corner as the Tigers looked for an equaliser.

The Lions had a glorious chance to make it 2-0 but Hawes put a free header wide from Booth’s corner.

Three minutes from the interval Worksop equalised. Jonathan Wafula cutting into the box from the right, going past a defender and seeing his shot deflected in via the keeper’s shoulder.

The final attack of the half saw Gathercole make a fine save from Grantham to ensure the teams went into half-time all square.

After a slow opening to the second half the Tigers started to take control.

A superb flowing move down the left between Connor Smythe, Elliott and Mitch Husbands ended with Elliott’s excellent cross just eluding Sellars.

Heanor’s main threat in the second half came from Hawes’ long throw and one such throw fell to Samuel Jones who blazed his shot over the bar from the edge of the area.

Worksop nearly took the lead when Wafula’s cross was deflected inched wide.

Then Deakin had to tip Alex Pursehouse’s cross over for a corner from which Luke Shiels headed over.

Elliott was next to go close for the Tigers, shooting straight at Deakin from distance.

Another Hawes long throw and with five minutes remaining nearly created a second goal for the home side when substitute Kieran Debrouwer deflected his throw wide.

Two minutes into stoppage time Worksop Town created an excellent chance to win the game.

An exquisite chipped pass by Sellars found substitute Chris Whincop whose first time volley seemed destined for the back of the net only for Deakin to produce a magnificent point blank save on the edge of the six yard box.

The two sides shared the spoils, Tigers taking a point off the most highly rated side they’ve encountered all season.

Heanor Town: Ian Deakin, Gregg Marriott, Chris Shaw (Paolo Piliero 66), Nick Hall (c), Adie Hawes, Marc Strzyzewski, Kieran Wells, Daniel Booth Gary Ricketts (Nathan Benger 66), Samuel Jones, Courey Grantham (Kieran Debrouwer 81). Unused subs: Gerard Moran, Scott Rogers.

Worksop Town: BEN GATHERCOLE 7, Alex Pursehouse 6, Connor Smythe 7, Jake Scott (c) 7, Sam Liversidge 6, Luke Shiels 7, Conor Sellars 6, Jonathan Wafula 7, Mitch Husbands 6 (Matt Booth 74), Andre Johnson 6 (Chris Whincop 84), Tom Elliott 7 (Jack Waddle 89). Unused subs: Jacob Dawson, Jack Hawkins.

Goals: Hawes 21; Wafula 42.

Booked: Deakin 71; Smythe 20, Scott 70.

Referee: Mr A. Khan.

Assistants: Mr I. Davies, Mr I. Read.

Att: 300.