Three red cards and Tigers skipper departs in an ambulance as his side beat Nostell

editorial image

Worksop Town recovered from the sight of skipper Jake Scott leaving the ground in an ambulance to beat eight-man Nostell Miners Welfare 4-2.

Scott hit the ground awkwardly following an aerial challenge by Dave Bordman, and didn’t move for 50 minutes in distressing scenes.

The midfielder was later discharged from Pinderfields Hospital with x-rays mercifully clear.

By that time Worksop had picked up three points and Nostell had picked up their third red card.

Every bit as agricultural as the West Yorkshire surroundings were the early Nostell tackles, Conor Sellars hacked down by a late Adam Clayton swipe, earning a yellow.

Tigers settled well, Jono Wafula bringing a save from Ben Saynor.

Saynor’s opposite number Ben Townsend, deputising for the unavailable Jon Stewart, dealt with his first task, a routine stop at the near post.

On 21 minutes, Matthew Johnson tangled with Sellars in a nothing incident but received his marching orders for putting a hand in Sellar’s face.

Worksop should have led, Andy Ofosu and Conor Higginson both running through, the latter shooting over the bar.

Tigers rued the miss on the half hour mark, failing to put a challenge in on Rob Bordman who simply turned and drilled home.

But they had an instant chance to level, the ball falling for Higginson whose shot was saved.

The final minute of the half was more concerning than any other, Bordman steaming into Scott in the air, getting a second yellow and joining Johnson.

A 50 minute break in play followed as medics arrived to strap Scott to a board and get him to hospital.

The game resumed for three minutes, before a short half-time break.

A second half onslaught was expected, and a sizeable Tigers support didn’t have long to wait, a corner from the right missed by Saynor and bundled home by Ross Henshaw.

But incredibly, the nine men responded inside 60 seconds, Townsend letting Steve Wales’ shot go right through him, James Kitson sliding in to score.

In a frenetic period, Worksop levelled again – James Cottingham playing in Ofosu who’s first shot was saved, the ball bouncing off his knee and into the net.

Only 17 minutes remained when two visiting players somehow failed to score, unmarked at the back post, but when it was crossed again, Higginson tapped in on the volley.

Phil Roe’s curling drive looked like the fourth goal until it bounced back off the crossbar, but the ball did hit the Nostell net again, on 82 minutes, Elliott’s well struck volley cannoning off a defender into the top corner.

There was still time for another red card, Clayton taking a second yellow for tripping Wafula, and Ofosu had a chance to put further gloss on the scoreline, going in on Saynor who made a fine stop to keep it at 4-2.

Victory took Worksop’s unbeaten streak to 13 games and maintained their seven point lead over Cleethorpes.

Nostell MW: Saynor, Thompson, Johnson, Clayton, Fisher, Elliott, Kelly, Boardman, Kitson (Davies 80), Bordman (J. Bovins 89), Wales (Mole 81). Not used: E. Bovins, Poole.

Worksop Town: Townsend 6, Wafula 5, Roe 6, Henshaw 6, Liversedge 6, BURGIN 6, Sellars 6 (Whincop 90), Scott (Cottingham 44 6), Ofosu 6, Higginson 6 (Jordan 85), Elliott 6. Not used: Johnson, Hawkins.

Referee: Dean Watson. Assistants: Carl Barrett, Connor Brown.

Goalscorers: Bordman 30, Kitson 53; Henshaw 52, Ofosu 56, Higginson 73, own goal 82

Yellows: Clayton 6, 86, D. Bordman 33, 44, Wales 46, Kelly 78

Red: Johnson 21, D. Bordman 44, Clayton 86