Three late red cards as Worksop survive Liversedge onslaught to win


Worksop Town survived a second half Liversedge onslaught to earn a huge three points, as a trio of players saw red late on.

Adam Scott and Mitch Husbands were sent off for the home side and Steve Wales for the visitors, but by that time Tigers were 3-1 up and held onto that scoreline until full-time.

After an early goal for the visitors, Connor Brunt followed up Saturday’s brace with another two goals, Charlie Dawes adding a spectacular third before Liversedge threw the kitchen sink at their hosts but couldn’t find a way through.

The game got off to the worst possible start for Worksop, a long ball over the top allowing Steve Wales to outpace the Tigers defence who were all at sea, and finish with aplomb past Jon Kennedy.

There followed a 26 minute period of niggly, frustrating football. Both sides were guilty of spoiling play either through fouls or poor decisions, Worksop looking on the lightweight side against a physical Liversedge challenge.

But the first time Tigers really stood up to the visitors, it brought about the leveller.

Jack Waddle went thundering into a well timed, fair tackle in the Liversedge half, allowing Jack Hawkins to pick up possession and curl a great cross into the box, Mitch Husbands heading it down for Connor Brunt to set himself and volley home.

Kennedy kept the scores level with a fingertip save, pushing Marc Lumb’s chipped effort over the crossbar after Liversedge had threatened on the counterattack.

Worksop ended the half on top and took the lead in stoppage time from a corner, the ball bundled down at the back post by Julian Lawrence and scrambled into the net by Brunt.

If the Liversedge management came out expecting an immediate response, they were sorely disappointed, the visitors going 3-1 behind thanks to a brilliant individual goal from Dawes.

The midfielder picked up the ball midway between the halfway line and the goal and set off, outpacing everyone around him and getting to the box where he fired the ball past keeper Ben Hunter.

It should have been 3-2 shortly after, an inviting ball swung in from the left, Joseph Walton left all alone in the middle only to head over the top.

Liversedge turned the screw, Tom Brook flicking the ball over the Worksop back line for Wales to run onto, his shot drifting past the far post.

Kennedy was called into action yet again when Liversedge attacked with pace, diving to his right to claw out a Walton shot, Hawkins making two telling tackles to deal with the rebound.

The attacks kept coming, Tigers living very dangerously and breathing a collective sigh of relief when Lumb strode forward and sent a searing shot just off target.

No one in the ground could quite believe the scoreline remained the same when Wales got round Lawrence and pulled it back from the byline, Walton skying his shot when all he had to do was hit the target from six yards.

The visitors appeared to have lost their momentum when Tom Jackson fell awkwardly and had to be carried off with an ankle injury, but they were handed it straight back, substitute Adam Scott kicking out at an opponent and earning a straight red - just nine minutes after coming on.

There was even more late drama, the red card coming out twice more in stoppage time, Husbands pulling Wales back before the Liversedge player responded by dragging the Worksop striker down by the neck from behind - both given their marching orders.

Worksop: Kennedy 7, Hawkins 7, Andrews 7, Lawrence 7 (Scott 78), Henshaw 7, Adams 6, Dawes 6 (Fusco 75), Booth 6, WADDLE 7, Brunt 7 (Johnson 90), Husbands 7. Not used: Jordan, Loftus.

Liversedge: Hunter, Wood, Brook (Donaldson 75), Blakey, Kane, Jackson (Cromack 86), Waller, Wales, Walton, Redford, Lumb. Not used: Riodan.

Referee: Mr M. Curwood. Assistants: Mr C. Hunter, Mr K. Shaw.

Goalscorers: Brunt 29, 45, Dawes 47; Wales 3

Yellows: Booth 33, Lawrence 78; Redford 68, Donaldson 90

Red: Scott 87, Husbands 90; Wales 90

Attendance: 315