Super sub Jamie gives Tigers another ugly win

Worksop Town v Ashton United (NWGU-22-02-14 RA 2a)
Worksop Town v Ashton United (NWGU-22-02-14 RA 2a)

When you’re in a promotion race at the business end of the season, a win against one of your play-off rivals is of huge importance.

Tigers’ dramatic 3-2 victory – thanks to Jamie Jackson’s majestic late header – was an ugly, bad tempered affair.

But Mark Shaw and his men won’t care one bit as for the second game in a week they took the points and ran, Jackson yet again making a late impact from the bench.

Conor Higginson almost announced his return to the starting 11 with a goal, sending a spectacular early half volley goalwards and bringing a fine save from Paul Phillips.

After a pretty dire opening, it was no surprise that the first goal was a scrappy one, Tigers keeper Jon Stewart unable to hold a bobbling free-kick and although he saved a follow-up effort, Dale Johnson tucked home the second rebound.

The game took on a fractious feel when Tom Denton went down in the box and a coming together off the ball sparked a melee, but no action was taken.

Ashton’s mood worsened when Denton challenged Phillips in the air and the ball fell to Leon Mettam who had a simple finish.

Phillips’ protests earned him a yellow card.

As injury time began Johnson tried a volley from 16 yards, but he was off target.

It was Ashton who started the second half better, Johnson smacking the ball against Stewart’s post.

Phil Roe picked up Tigers’ first yellow for his foul on Chris Lynch who was storming down the right touchline.

Seconds later it was Lynch seeing yellow, for impeding Stewart as he tried to clear.

Momentum swung the way of the hosts, Mettam curling a perfect ball to the back post where - who else - Denton arrived to nod home.

Interplay between Roe and Jake Scott saw the ball at the left-back’s feet just two yards out, but he couldn’t get enough purchase on his shot.

Despite Worksop’s dominance, they found themselves pegged back when Stewart come out to claim a free-kick and missed it, Jason Gorton finding the empty net.

Tigers, like Ashton earlier, wanted a free-kick, but the referee was unmoved.

Ashton came forward again and Chadwick tried his luck from long range, Scott’s touch deflecting the ball wide.

Marc Goodfellow replaced Higginson and almost caught Phillips napping with a shot from out wide, the keeper scrambling well to recover.

Jackson, on for Jack Muldoon, did beat the Ashton stopper however, leaping like a salmon to meet Mettam’s sublime cross and thump a header home from 16 yards.

The drama wasn’t done, Mettam receiving a yellow - on the bench - for his part in a scrum that involved players and coaching staff from both sides.

Even after the full-time whistle there were handbags, but eventually the visitors left the field and Worksop could celebrate a vital victory.