Wednesday chairman Dejphon Chansiri has revealed Fernando Forestieri has apologised to him over refusing to face Norwich City - and wants to draw a line under the issue.
In a statement released this lunch-time, the Thai businessman has confirmed the striker said sorry to him in person last night after not travelling to Carrow Road last weekend.
Forestieri, who bagged 15 goals last season, apologised to head coach Carlos Carvalhal, the coaching staff and his teammates for his “unprofessional and unacceptable” behaviour yesterday.
Chansiri said: “It was essential that Fernando apologised to everyone concerned for his actions last Friday, which by his own admission, were unacceptable.
“Fernando’s teammates, all the coaching staff and Carlos accepted his apology and it is important to me as the leader of the club that I now go on record as saying that I too accept his apology and forgive his conduct. He was disrespectful and this is something I could not accept.
“Fernando came to see me personally last night to apologise and asked me to forgive him, making clear that he acted in an unprofessional manner not befitting of Sheffield Wednesday. Much of what was said must remain private, of course, but I feel it is vital that I communicate to you, the fans, as much as I possibly can in an open and honest fashion.
“This unsavoury situation is the last thing I would wish to unfold at our club but I accept that incidents such as this do happen in the world of football – it is not the first time and I am sure it will not be the last.
“The most important thing is how we all move on together and draw a line in the sand. Therefore, as your chairman, I am asking you all to show the same forgiveness and give 100 per cent support to Fernando the very next time he wears the colours of our club.
“Whilst I completely respect your opinions, whatever they may be, to be anything other than fully supportive could be disharmonious and counter-productive, which is the last thing that anybody wants. Above all else, we are family, and we help each other through times of trouble.”
Derby County had a £7m rejected for Forestieri last week and Newcastle United are also believed to be keeping close tabs on him.
But Chansiri is adamant no one is leaving Hillsborough, stressing: “Under no circumstances will we be selling our best players. We are building, not taking apart. Everybody at our club, and I repeat everybody, is now pulling in the same direction and will give nothing but complete commitment for the good of Sheffield Wednesday.”
Chansiri is encouraged by Wednesday’s positive start to the season. Carvalhal’s men have collected four points from their opening two fixtures with newly-relegated duo Aston Villa and Norwich City.
The Owls go to Burton Albion tonight and Chansiri is refusing to get carried away.
Chansiri said: “In the new season, having played two teams from the Premier League last season, we have collected four points, which I am sure you will agree is an excellent return from these extremely tough fixtures. What we must do now is continue in a similar vein, take games one at a time and try our level best to build on what we so memorably achieved last season.
“To do so successfully, we must all be as one. Families have differences but I believe that if a problem can be resolved, then it shall, and I sincerely hope that this situation is a case in point. We can and will emerge stronger, of that I am sure because this club is special, unique.”