Second defeat in a row for Tigers at AFC Fylde

Worksop Town tasted defeat for the second time in two games, when they lost an entertaining game at fellow promotion hopefuls AFC Fylde 3-2.
AFC Fylde v Worksop Town. Sean Cooke.AFC Fylde v Worksop Town. Sean Cooke.
AFC Fylde v Worksop Town. Sean Cooke.

Jack Muldoon’s penalty and Mitch Husband’s first goal as a Tiger weren’t enough to stop the Coasters from arresting their losing streak.

Worksop got off to a bad start, conceding after only three minutes when Josh Hill delayed clearing the ball then miss-hit his back pass allowing Matt Blinkhorn to nip in and cross the ball to Joe Booth who slotted home the opener.

Minutes later only a fine save at the near post by Jon Stewart from the dangerous Ritchie Allen prevented the Coasters from doubling the lead.

Slowly the Tigers started to be more of an attacking threat.

Husbands shot straight at Ben Hinchliffe following good work from Tom Denton and Jack Adams.

Then Muldoon saw his shot saved by Hinchliffe as Tigers looked for an equaliser.

At the other end Stewart parried Allen’s shot, Blinkhorn skewing the rebound wide.

Worksop were unhappy when they were not awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position following a foul on Adams; the referee waving play on before Husbands’ attempt from a less favourable position was blocked.

Tigers were level on 39 minutes when Muldoon fired home from the penalty spot after he had his shirt pulled as he tried to get on the end of Hill’s cross.

Sean Cooke sliced badly wide from Allen’s cross as the home side looked for an immediate response.

Another excellent Tigers move ended with Denton sliding in to get on the end of a cross but his effort went just wide.

However, a minute before the interval Adams and Muldoon combined to set up Husbands who shot with aplomb past Hinchliffe, a goal delighting the youngster on his full senior debut.

Fellow debutant Marc Goodfellow set up Husbands for the Tigers first chance of the second half, his shot being comfortably saved by the keeper.

Just before the hour mark the Coasters were level when Booth cut back Allen’s cross into the path of Blinkhorn who made no mistake from eight yards out.

Tigers responded immediately, Hill missing the ball completely from Goodfellow’s free kick with the goal at his mercy.

Fylde broke straight to the other end with Allen getting the better of his marker before crossing to Jack Dorney to slot home to make it 3-2.

Adams saw his shot from the edge of area deflected for a corner.

Then Hill had his header from Jake Scott’s free-kick gathered by the keeper, whilst Husbands also saw a header collected by Hinchliffe.

A good run by Dorney ended with his shot being deflected for a corner.

Cooke saw his shot from Dorney’s free kick blocked, the rebound headed wide by Tom Eckersley.

With 90 minutes on the clock Denton had a excellent chance to equalise following a goalmouth scramble but missed the ball.

Tigers forced a series of corners in added time as they piled on the pressure, and then on 93 minutes a goal bound pile driver by Roe was deflected wide of the target, with the defender knowing little about it.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hankin, Sumner, Hughes (c), Eckersley, Barnes, Dorney, Booth (Winter 87), Blinkhorn, Cooke (Denson 90), Allen (Lloyd 81). Unused subs: Hughes, Chippendale.

Worksop Town: Stewart 7, Pursehouse 6, Roe 6, Scott 6, Hill 5, Salt, 6 MULDOON 7, Adams 6 (Barnett 84), Denton (c) 7, Husbands 6 (Twell 73), Goodfellow 5 (Cole 81). Unused subs: Gathercole, Broadhead.

Goals: Booth 3, Blinkhorn 59, Dorney 63; Muldoon 39 (pen), Husbands 44.

Booked: Roe 79, Scott 90.

Referee: Mr D. McNamara.

Assistants: Mr M. Hughes & Mr P. Shacklady.

Attendance: 254.

Related topics: