Retford stave off fourth defeat

RETFORD United brought a point home from Staveley on Saturday, ending a three-game losing streak.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 10th December 2012, 3:55 pm

The 2-2 draw came after manager Richard Sennett rang the changes, bringing in Matthias Gausmann in midfield and prolific Under 19 striker Reece Thompson up front with Richard Medcalf.

There was a fiesty start to the game, Gausmann putting himself bout well to stifle the opposition, but the referee picked up a lot of niggly challenges from both sides and affected the flow of the game.

Andrew Fox got into a good position for Staveley, but his effort was cleared, then Thompson stretched to prod the ball at goal at the other end and Richard Ayres in the Staveley goal collected.

Scott McGrory had his drive tipped round the post by Retford stopper Ayden Duffy, and on 25 minutes Staveley were made to rue the missed chance.

Rob Sanderson’s ball into the danger zone was handled, the referee pointed to the spot and Adam Scott stroked home the opener for Retford.

Simon Barraclough came so close to levelling but his ball across the face of goal rolled inches wide of the far post, with supporters prematurely celebrating.

With three minutes left in the half Welfare found an equaliser, Fox lifting the ball over Duffy to make it 1-1.

On 53 minutes Retford found themselves a goal behind.

Nathan Forbes-Swindells found the net with a low drive to put Staveley ahead for the first time.

Retford looked for an immediate response but Sanderson had a header cleared and then shot wide.

A quarter of an hour remained when Retford pulled it back to 2-2, replacement Bobby Johnson finding Scott and he grabbed his second of the game.

Danny Smith needed to make a smart block to keep out Staveley substitute Chris Coy and then Scott hooked over the bar looking for his hat-trick.

In stoppage time Scott could have sealed the points when his ball across goal just missed.

United will look to build on the point with a trip to Barton Town on Wednesday, then a home game against Long Eaton United on Saturday.