Reeves blitzes the Blues

A FOUR goal salvo from a former Trinity transfer target on Tuesday consigned the Blues to their third defeat in six games.

Damian Reeves recently opted to sign for Altrincham rather than Gainsborough, and he demonstrated his finishing prowess by scoring all four of his side’s goals in their 4-2 win.

Steve Housham’s Blues had hoped to follow Saturday’s 2-1 victory at Vauxhall Motors with their first home win of the season, but despite an improved second half performance, Reeves’ first half strikes proved decisive.

The kick-off was delayed for an hour because of the failure of the floodlights on the Carlisle Street side of the ground.

There were fears that referee Guy Stretton might have to call off the game, but an electrician was able to fix the problem before the stipulated deadline.

It took just three minutes for the visitors to take the lead, with Reeves running onto an intelligent through ball and shooting past Trinity keeper Jan Budtz, who got a touch but couldn’t prevent the goal.

Alty’s second arrived on 23 minutes, when Nicky Clee played a short corner to James Lawrie on the edge of the area, he cheekily backheeled and Reeves was on hand to tap it in from two yards.

Lawrie was the creator of the third too. He twisted and turned in the Trinity area before feeding Reeves who once again scored from close range.

And it got even worse for Housham in the 36th minute when the four goal arrived.

A penalty was awarded for a handball by a Trinity defender, Reeves took the spot-kick and scored from the rebound after Budtz had blocked his first poorly struck effort.

Rather than sending his men out on a damage limitation exercise after the break, Housham brought on Darryn Stamp for Jamie Yates and Danny Hone, making his Trinity début, replaced Greg Young in defence as the Blues switched to a 4-3-3 formation.

And they clawed a goal back on the hour.

Bradley Barraclough, on the right of the Altrincham area, seemed at first to step on the ball, but recovered well and crossed for Stamp to nod home.

In the 74th minute, a cross-cum-shot by Dom Roma was punched by Stuart Coburn straight to Shane Clarke at the edge of the area, and the Trinity midfielder made no mistake as he rifled his shot into the roof of the net.

Throughout the match there were chances galore for both sides, as play swung constantly from end to end.

Trinity produced some fairly neat approach work but were seriously disadvantaged by the lack of a poacher like Reeves.

Lawrie and Clee both hit the post for Altrincham, and for Trinity a Hawkridge shot rebounded off the woodwork in injury time.

Trinity are now without a victory on home soil since 31st March when they beat Colwyn Bay and Housham will be hoping to end the winless streak on Saturday, when Worcester are the visitors.

Trinity: Budtz, Roma, Wilde, Waterfall, Young (Hone 46), R. Williams (Barraclough 26), D’Laryea, Clarke, Yates (Stamp 46), Connor, Hawkridge. Not used: Nelthorpe, J. Williams.

Altrincham: Coburn, Densmore (Leather 73), Doughty, Rodgers, Havern, Hall, Watmore (Brooke 64), Moult (Lacey 82), Lawrie, Reeves, Clee. Not used: Mitchley, Reid.

Referee: Guy Stretton (Leicestershire).

Goals: Stamp 61, Clarke 74; Reeves 3, 23, 33, 36.

Bookings: Young 25, Hone 59.

Attendance: 525.