Ramsbottom rout is a record Trophy defeat

Tigers came home from Ramsbottom United with their tails between their legs on Saturday, after a record FA Trophy defeat.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 19th October 2013, 8:33 pm
Patrice Liburd gives away a penalty on his debut
Patrice Liburd gives away a penalty on his debut

The side from the division below them inflicted a 7-2 beating on a Worksop team that played for over an hour with 10 men.

But Laurence Gaughan’s red card for violent conduct came with Worksop already 3-1 down, having conceded three times in the opening seven minutes.

Ramsbottom took the lead in the third minute, as Tigers needlessly gave the ball away, United broke through Jon Robinson and his ball into the box was knocked home by Thomas Brooks who beat debutant Patrice Liburd to the near post.

If Tigers were rattled by the early goal, they were shell shocked two minutes later as another cross from the left was spilled by keeper Ben Gathercole, bounced off Liburd and Robinson had a simple finish.

Just two minutes after that they were red faced, as poor control in the middle gave United the ball, a pass down the centre parted the back four and Grant Spencer ran through to finish.

The pace of Phillip Dean on the left flank was giving Tigers real trouble, and only a foul by Jordan Lemon halted another break.

Worksop gave themselves a chance when Tom Denton nodded through for Jack Muldoon, he raced into the box, and crossed for Leon Mettam to slide home at the back post.

It could have been 3-2 when Mettam latched onto a bouncing ball and took it round Grant Shenton, staying on his feet despite the attentions of the keeper and feeding Higginson whose shot was blocked.

A moment of madness cost Worksop the game on 28 minutes.

Gaughan fouled Spencer to stop the hosts from breaking, the United player got up angrily and as they squared up the Worksop defender led with an elbow.

Down went Spencer, up went the red card.

In a frenetic two minutes after the sending off, Roe smacked a 30-yard free-kick against the crossbar at one end, and the impressive Dean drew a fine save from Gathercole at the other.

All the game was missing was a penalty, and on 34 minutes it arrived.

Liburd was the guilty party with a trip in the box. Gathercole saved Dean’s initial spot-kick, but couldn’t keep out the shot from the rebound.

Before the game re-started there was a further blow for the visitors, Mettam limping off, replaced by Jack Adams.

Ramsbottom had another good shout for a penalty when Liburd manhandled Dean in the area, lifting him off his feet and throwing him down again, the referee somehow missing it.

Worksop came out very early for the second half, presumably after some harsh words from the management.

But the first chance of the second half fell to Ramsbottom, as right-back Owen Roberts burst onto a loose ball, beat Lemon and shot wide.

Seconds later, Roberts turned provider, sliding it through for Tom Brooks who took it past Gathercole and slotted home for a 5-1 lead.

Spencer brought a good save from the Worksop keeper with a free-kick, and when the ball was delivered back into the box Denton had to clear off the line.

Worksop were just hanging on, not helping their cause by failing to keep possession for any length of time as the waves of blue attacks just kept coming, Brooks with the best of them as he hit the post from five yards.

A rare attack for Worksop saw Denton’s flick on release Higginson into the box, but his effort summed up Tigers’ day as it trundled wide.

Substitute Chris Salt had only been on the pitch nine minutes when he gave away the second penalty of the afternoon, bringing down Dominic Smalley with a crude block.

Dean slammed home the spot-kick, and Tigers found themselves 6-1 down with 15 minutes remaining.

There was a brief moment of positivity for the visitors with two minutes remaining when a bright run by Higginson earned a penalty, Daniel Warrender committing the foul, Muldoon converting the spot-kick.

On what has to be one of their best days in any competition, Ramsbottom weren’t going to let Tigers have the last word.

Subs Tommy Toth and Jordan Hulme troubled the defence before the latter tucked home a rebound from Gathercole’s save.

To the victors go the spoils, – a cool £2,700 in prize money, and to the losing side, a mention in the record books that they won’t be proud of.

Ramsbottom United: Grant Shenton, Daniel Warrender, Owen Roberts, Gary Stopforth (Toth 68), Andrew Dawson, Billy Priestley, Dominic Smalley, Grant Spencer, Jon Robinson (Hulme 65) , Thomas Brooks (Gaskell 65), Philip Dean. Not used: Joel Pikington, Jake Chadwick.

Worksop Town: Gathercole 5, Lemon 4 (Salt 65), Roe 4, Davies 4 (Cottingham 46), Liburd 3, Gaughan 3, Muldoon 4, CLARKE 5, Denton 4, Mettam 4 (Adams 35), Higginson 4. Not used: Barnett, McKenzie.

Referee: Anthony Moore. Assistants: Shaun Mohan, Jon Paul Kenny.

Goalscorers: Brooks 3, 52, Robinson 5, Spencer 7, Dean 35 (pen), 75 (pen), Hulme 89; Mettam 21, Muldoon 88.

Yellows: Toth 86; Lemon 14, Liburd 66, Salt 75, Muldoon 89.

Red: Gaughan 28.

Attendance: 355.