Rampant Tigers run wild at Nantwich

ANOTHER stunning away performance in the league made it two wins, nine goals and two clean sheets in a row for Tigers on Saturday.

Simon Clark’s Worksop Town side thrashed Nantwich Town 5-0 with a performance that was arguably better than the one that saw them beat Hednesford Town 4-0 a fortnight ago.

A solid defensive effort, led by the immense Kern Miller, was the platform for the midfield to run the game and the strikers to run rampant.

The front four all got on the scoresheet, as did Miller, in a vintage display that left the high flying Dabbers shellshocked.

Worksop started brightly, Tom Denton and Leon Mettam linking well up front and the midfield duo of Matt Young and Steve Towers showing some tidy touches.

For Nantwich, their highlights of the first few minutes were a wild blast from Christian Smith and a half volley from Will Jones from 10 yards out that should have found the net.

There were appeals for a penalty from Tigers when a quick break ended in the six yard box with Mettam tumbling under a challenge from behind, the referee unmoved.

More pressure from the hosts saw Young swing in a cross from the right and Mettam’s first time volley was well held by Jon Brain.

Although the officials missed a number of fouls on Mettam, he was finally awarded a free-kick midway through the half and Burbeary smacked it well wide from 30 yards.

A long throw from Nantwich almost took Tigers by surprise, Kyle Wilson getting goalside of Miller who had to nod past his own post.

Having defended the set-piece well Worksop broke when Burbeary released Mettam and his cross to the back post was knocked out for a corner.

Burbeary swung the flag kick into the box and Miller had acres of space and enough time to pick his spot before sweeping home a sidefoot volley for the first goal of the game.

The classy finish from the big defender may have surprised a few in the ground but the lead was well deserved.

Just two minutes later it was 2-0 and Worksop were flying.

Mettam went down on the byline under attention from Darren Moss, a penalty was awarded and Burbeary stroked it into the right corner of the net, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Brain kept the hosts in the game in the final stages of the half, King slipping the ball to Denton who set himself and fired at goal, bringing a decent save.

But there was nothing the stopper could do in first half injury time when Denton beat two men in the air, Burbeary and Mettam linked up and the latter’s cross to the back post was knocked in by the ever-lively King for a 3-0 half-time lead.

Jimmy Quinn made two changes at half-time, bringing on Josh Lane and Fraser McLachlan, with a mountain to climb in the second period.

The Dabbers’ first shot on target was a tame one, the ball trundling into Paul Bastock’s arms from Niall Maguire.

For the opening quarter of an hour after the break, Nantwich controlled the game, Worksop unable to retain possession.

While they were unable to fashion much in the way of chances, a ball over the top did force Tigers keeper Bastock out to clear under pressure and he took a knock, but was able to continue after treatment.

Bastock was in the wars again when he came flying off his line to punch clear, colliding with Lane who came off worse.

The injury wasn’t hampering the keeper’s kicking however, and on 70 minutes he launched a goalkick forward, Denton flicked it on and Mettam scampered through the middle before lobbing Brain and finding the net, off the crossbar.

With a four goal lead Simon Clark withdrew Burbeary and sent on Lee Beeson, King swapping flanks.

Number five arrived when King got free on the left, drove into the box and crossed for Denton, the big man slotting home on the volley for a well deserved goal.

Worringly for Tigers Bastock’s bravery saw him down again as he dove at Mat Bailey’s feet and was clattered, but got up once again to soldier on.

With the points in the bag Mettam’s place up front was taken by L’Heureux Menga, the big man getting straight into the action and felling his marker.

After a fantastic performance at the back Miller was also taken off and Adie Hawes came on.

In injury time Nantwich looked for a consolation but Jones headed over from a decent cross and Worksop saw out the final minute for a superb win, delighting the travelling support.

Nantwich: Brain, Flynn, Short, Hughes (Lane 45), Bailey, Moss, Cooke (McLachlan 45), 8 Christian Smith (McDonald 69), Wilson, Jones, Maguire. Subs: Beesley, Campbell.

Worksop: Bastock 9, Clarke 9, Wood 9, Young 9, Ludlam 9, MILLER 9 (Hawes 86), King 9, Towers 9, Denton 9, Mettam 9 (Menga 76), Burbeary 9 (Beeson 71). Subs: Warlow, Telling.

Referee: David Croft. Assistants: Terence Morgan, Richard Abson.

Attendance: 308.

Goalscorers: Miller 34, Burbeary 36 (pen), King 45, Mettam 70, Denton 77.

Man of the Match: Kern Miller.